Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've recently cracked my rim of my stock rear wheel (Bontrager Select) on my Trek after 8000km. So I'm in the market for a new decent wheelset. I don't want to spend a whole whack of change and am looking for the best combination of value and durability - lighter and stiffer is always better too. I will use them for general group riding/training and triathlon races this summer.

The wheelsets I'm looking into now are:

Shimano 105 or Ultegra (heard they're not so durable)
Mavic Aksium or Ksyrium Equipe (heard the spokes are hard to replace)
Easton ea50 or ea70 (heard they're over priced)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not shy about spending a bit more if it's really worth it.
Thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Why don't you get your "Select" rear wheel rebuilt?
or
Why don't you buy a rear wheel built with an Ultegra 32 hole hub and an Open Pro rim? Do you believe that that sort of wheel will slow you down????

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
nvanrider said:
I'm in the market for a new decent wheelset. I don't want to spend a whole whack of change and am looking for the best combination of value and durability - lighter and stiffer is always better too. I will use them for general group riding/training and triathlon races this summer.
The wheelsets I'm looking into now are:
Shimano 105 or Ultegra (heard they're not so durable)
Mavic Aksium or Ksyrium Equipe (heard the spokes are hard to replace)
Easton ea50 or ea70 (heard they're over priced)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not shy about spending a bit more if it's really worth it.
Thanks!
If you can find anyone who stocks Ksyrium spokes and if the price of one of those spokes doesn't put you off them forever I'll be surprised. A nice set of OpenPro/Ultegras are nice fixable wheels and that wheelset offers a few options.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
nvanrider said:
Thanks Mike T. - that option looks awesome and the price is right. Thanks for the input.
Cheers
You're very welcome. BWW is a rbr partner store and is easily available for advice on what would be best for you. You can get Chris at 800-979-0028. I was riding a set of his wheels today - OP rims and DuraAce hubs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even though i only did one ride on them I would definitely check out neuvation cycling. im 175lbs and the wheels felt very strong on less than perfect roads. great product, price and customer service.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the Ultegra WH-6600 wheelset. They seem to me a great bang-for-the-buck set. They have a nice balance of weight, price, and durability. I have over 1000 miles on them so far, and not one problem.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

·
497 Posts
open pros

Ridden a LOT of wheels. I'm no Boonen powerhouse, or a wheel builder that gets tons of feedback, but I'm fairly heavy, ride a lot, and am notorious for breaking stuff that shouldn't break. Still can't beat a 32 hole open pro on the rear, with either an ultegra or dura ace hub. The dura ace hub has a substantially lighter freehub and better bearings, but you're going to pay for it. It's still a better value than any aftermarket hub.

Unless you plan on racing seriously in fast packs, and are comfortable using extremely deep dish wheels (60+mm), there's no reason for anything else performance-wise. If you really want something lighter and more nimble than a standard (boring) Open Pro just for fun's sake, recognize that most of the pre-builts that are truly lighter are either extremely pricey or not very sturdy (or both). Open pro w/ultegra or dura ace is still best bang for the buck in my opinion. There are some competing rims out there aka Velocity aerohead and DT, but the Mavic Open Pros seem to be the ones that build up most easily, stay true, and are still going 30,000 miles later. If you compare true weights, they're still competitive with the prebuilts you're looking at.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
For low cost durability- go with 32 spoke Ultegra/Open Pros. Easy to find & repair/rebuild should they get damaged.

For a more aero & "modern" look- Neuvations are hard to beat. Durable & outstanding customer service.

I would avoid Ksyriums like the plague (I own Equipes & SSC SLs).

·
Registered
150 Posts
My three cents

Ultegra Mavic Open Pro from BWW. 32 3x double butted, silver spokes.

Easily maintainable, reapirable.
I weigh 215 use them almost 4 times a week in the busted streets of NYC.
Average 7000 plus a year on them miles.

The ONLY time I ever had an issue with them was when a bike shop over tensioned them and my rim cracked.

Now the "BEST" news.
You wheel may be under warranty. I had a busted Bontrager Lite replaced for a hairline rim crack, I think it had a 5 or 3 year warranty.

Bring it to a Trek dealer and see what happens.

Oh yeah, skip the Neuvations, okay why?
The owner is excellent at making good on wheel issues, but you have to send it back to him. What do you do during that time? They also use proprietary spokes, now what.
You need a wheel you can limp, ride or repair easily.

Good Luck

Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
check out Leo XR-240s at unreal cycles - $150 for pair

I bought a pair of XR-300 wheels from unreal cycels last summer and am VERY happy with them. I am fairly certain they are made by KinLin (you can search the web to learn more about their products) as they have the same model numbers and they look the same from the photos. They are branded under a Swiss brand called Leo Elements that I had never heard of, but KinLin makes wheels for many of the major manufacturers (they also sell under their own brand name). Unreal Cycles sold out of the XR-300s pretty quickly. The difference between the XR-300s I bought and the XR-240s they are currently selling is the XR-240s have more spokes, a different rim profile (24 mm VS 30 MM, hence the 240 and 300 model number) and they are a little heavier (mine weighed in at an incredibly light 1290 grams for the pair, the XR-240s are advertised at 1670 grams - still respectibley light). Unreal Cycles also shipped them to the east coast in about 2 days.

Here is the link: http://rd.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item200.htm

Here is the link to Leo (although it is not in English): http://www.leo-elements.ch/

Best of luck with your planned purchase (and no, I am not affiliated with Leo or Unreal Cycles. Just a happy customer passing on the word).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
TeamCholent said:
Ultegra Mavic Open Pro from BWW. 32 3x double butted, silver spokes.

Easily maintainable, reapirable.
I weigh 215 use them almost 4 times a week in the busted streets of NYC.
Average 7000 plus a year on them miles.

The ONLY time I ever had an issue with them was when a bike shop over tensioned them and my rim cracked.

Now the "BEST" news.
You wheel may be under warranty. I had a busted Bontrager Lite replaced for a hairline rim crack, I think it had a 5 or 3 year warranty.

Bring it to a Trek dealer and see what happens.

Oh yeah, skip the Neuvations, okay why?
The owner is excellent at making good on wheel issues, but you have to send it back to him. What do you do during that time? They also use proprietary spokes, now what.

Good Luck

Rob
Each Neuvation wheel comes with two extra spokes. If you need more, John will send you more. For $200 for the set of M28 Aero3's, I took my chances.

·
Atom B
202 Posts
TeamCholent said:
They also use proprietary spokes, now what.
Not completely accurate. My Neuvations have traditional spokes and hubs...so I can limp, ride or repair easily.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bicicletă said:
Not completely accurate. My Neuvations have traditional spokes and hubs...so I can limp, ride or repair easily.
Just curious - which ones do you have? The M28SL's?

-Chris

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bicicletă said:
Correct. M28 SLs. Really nice wheels for the price.
Would you care to share any pictures of them on your ride? :) I like to do as much research as possible before pulling the trigger on things, and I was originally worried about those lighter wheels handling my weight, but by the time I actually buy them and my build is finished, I'll probably be down to around 180.

-Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts