Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to install the valve extender from the hub side of rim before installing on tubular tire valve? Because mine has a lip at the end.

Also, when installing Teflon tape, how much/ where do I install it?
Do I install only on the outside of the extender/ tire valve interface?
Someone mentioned loctite too.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Put the extender on the stem of the tire before you mount the tire. If you have a concern about whether the extender will fit through the rim, dry fit it first to check for problems. The teflon tape goes only on the threads of the valve of the tire, don't use too much and clog the valve, and be sure to open the valve of the tire all the way before you install the extender. If your tubulars have removable valve stems, the Vittoria extenders work really well, provided that they will give you enough length for the rim you are using.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
A removable valve will have two flat sides that the little "wrench" fits on to allow removal. I've only used extenders on my Vittoria tubulars and don't need them on the wheels I have with Conti tubulars, so can't recall if those valves are removable or not. With the Vittoria extenders, you remove the existing valve and replace it with the extender which has a complete valve on the end. Never used Tufo extenders, but if they have a complete valve on the end, they would be just like the Vittorias. Zipp and some others are just extension tubes and you leave your original valves in place.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a set of Zipp 404s which originally came with the extenders. I previously have used the preceding on other deep dish wheels, & they can be a problem with leaking or coming loose. Also, the valve tip must be either locktited. or squeezed so it does not rattle closed. The Tufo extenders work work much better. Secondly, the valve must be removable, such as on Conti's & Tufo's. (no I don't ride the Tufos anymore, except as a traininng or spare)

·
Registered
674 Posts
cdhbrad said:
A removable valve will have two flat sides that the little "wrench" fits on to allow removal. I've only used extenders on my Vittoria tubulars and don't need them on the wheels I have with Conti tubulars, so can't recall if those valves are removable or not. With the Vittoria extenders, you remove the existing valve and replace it with the extender which has a complete valve on the end. Never used Tufo extenders, but if they have a complete valve on the end, they would be just like the Vittorias. Zipp and some others are just extension tubes and you leave your original valves in place.
1) Contis DO have removable valve cores.

2) Actually the Vittoria valve extenders (at least the ones I'm staring at right now...which are the ones I use) do not have a complete valve on the end., What you do is you remove the valve core from the Vittoria/Conti/Tufo/whatever tires you're using, thread THAT valve core onto the valve extender and then thread the extender onto the tire. With the other valve extenders (such as the Problem Solvers and Zipps you mentioned) you are right, they are basically extension tubes for the existing valves (and I've found them to be the least effective of all the types).

Another quick tip for valve extenders, or long valve tubes on deep rims (NOT deep dish as they're incorrectly called here sometimes)...you can wrap a very small section of electrical tape around the valve so that it does not rattle against the sides of the rim when riding. Trying to find the source of that annoying "click, click" noise will make you go crazy!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
"Actually the Vittoria valve extenders (at least the ones I'm staring at right now...which are the ones I use)"

You are correct...... I was doing it from memory as mine had been installed about 2 years ago and I had forgotten the exact install sequence when I was posting above. Either way, I think the Vittoria are better than the tube extensions, if they are long enough for the application.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A couple of other points- maybe 3 turns of teflon tape around the base of the Vittoria extender (where it attaches to the original valve stem, after you have removed the valve core) is sufficient. When attaching the valve extender to the valve, take care you don't torque it down too aggressively, as doing so can twist the tube inside the tire, causing a separation at the base of the valve stem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.