Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't there supposed to be a decision by the Italians on Valverde a couple of weeks ago?

Did I miss it? Did it get delayed? Was the case dropped?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I think he's clear from what I might have read. I get the idea he is from one of the many articles I've glimpsed through on cycling news etc.

But, it could just be what I THINK.

I'm keen to know as well.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uzziefly said:
I'm keen to know as well.
Another doping issue that seems to have just dropped out of sight is the blood passport. Seems like weeks or even months ago now that McQuaid said they were days away from rolling the passport out and prosecuting riders who had run afoul of it last year. And now nothing for quite a while.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iliveonnitro said:
Decision will be announces by next week, last I heard.
I just saw on another site that CONI has asked for 2 years for Valverde. Confirm some of Fuentes' blood was his and included exogenous EPO in it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Once again I have to ask, how does CONI have any jurisdiction in this matter? He doesn't have a racing license in Italy and they can't prove he doped in Italy.

Like it says on cyclingnews, "Valverde will likely appeal any ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)." I'm not saying he didn't dope but that is an appeal I think he is likely to win on technical grounds.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr01news3.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
framed said:
Once again I have to ask, how does CONI have any jurisdiction in this matter? He doesn't have a racing license in Italy and they can't prove he doped in Italy.

Like it says on cyclingnews, "Valverde will likely appeal any ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)." I'm not saying he didn't dope but that is an appeal I think he is likely to win on technical grounds.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr01news3.
But I think it's becoming readily apparent that it would be a pyrrhic victory for his reputation, if in fact he did win.

That's the only reason people like LA are still able to ride. They're holding the whole sport hostage. If the truth is acknowledged the sport is over or that is the fear anyway.

I think that fear is unfounded.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Recent comments from UCI officials seem to indicate that they would pursue sanctions in a case like this. IOW, if the rider's home UCI affiliate couldn't/wouldn't pursue charges, but another country's governing body had damning evidence, UCI would step in to provide a sanction.

Given that the UCI rules defer all this stuff to the national bodies, it is hard to understand how this would work.

JSR

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
If there is something like a full faith and credit clause in the UCI rules, then the rulings and sanctions of one federation have to be supported by all the federations.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Still good for clean-up of the sport....

Because even if Italy doesn't have juristiction over him and it could get overturned in court, a ruling like this allows ASO who oversees the big races to bar riders from race on priciple or whatever...

Shocking that his blood bags also had EPO in them too! Just shocking!! ;) - wonder if they will release the other 40 substances that he was likely taking there.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Old_school_nik said:
Because even if Italy doesn't have juristiction over him and it could get overturned in court, a ruling like this allows ASO who oversees the big races to bar riders from race on priciple or whatever...

Shocking that his blood bags also had EPO in them too! Just shocking!! ;) - wonder if they will release the other 40 substances that he was likely taking there.
Cycling cleaning up?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Old_school_nik said:
Shocking that his blood bags also had EPO in them too! Just shocking!! ;)
Brings to mind the theory that Landis got caught out because he took an infusion of blood "tainted" by testosterone that he had been doping with when he had it extracted.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Brings to mind the theory that Landis got caught out because he took an infusion of blood "tainted" by testosterone that he had been doping with when he had it extracted.
Yup, that's the theory I subscribe to and the theory that makes the most sense in terms of his performance. No ball patch alone is going to make you go like Eddy for 6 hours. Unless the ball pacth has a blood bag attache dto it, which would be some ball patch.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Manche Bala Verde

What other riders once implicated in Operacion Puerto are currently still competing, and why are/have they not being/been investigated in the same manner as Senor Valverde? :confused:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
piano said:
What other riders once implicated in Operacion Puerto are currently still competing, and why are/have they not being/been investigated in the same manner as Senor Valverde? :confused:
Interesting question. One would presume that Contador could be either cleared or condemned by comparing his Giro blood to any OP blood thought to be his.

JSR

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
piano said:
There are dozens, certainly the highest profile rider would be Contador, but then again what we've seen on him is pretty minor compared to the others.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
The Floyd blood bag theory is a hard one to support. While it is certainly possible that he had a tainted refill the IRMS tests showed that many of his samples, at all periods of the Tour, had synthetic testosterone in them. This would mean that he was using throughout the Tour. A more plausible idea was that he left the patch on too long or forgot to take an Epi shot to even out his ratios.

I am fully supportive of him sitting for 2 years but if Valverde goes down for OP it opens up a huge box of worms. If samples with such poor chain of custody as the OP samples are OK for sanction then what about Tyler's Gold Medal and Lance's 99 samples?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
bigpinkt said:
I am fully supportive of him sitting for 2 years but if Valverde goes down for OP it opens up a huge box of worms. If samples with such poor chain of custody as the OP samples are OK for sanction then what about Tyler's Gold Medal and Lance's 99 samples?
NOW chain of custody problems bother you?????? LOL!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bigpinkt said:
The Floyd blood bag theory is a hard one to support. While it is certainly possible that he had a tainted refill the IRMS tests showed...

Sure, the other problem being testosterone clears the system even faster than EPO. But maybe "extra" testosterone in the blood put him over the limit?

Here's hoping to his and/or Tyler's career going completely in the toilet. Only because it would increase the chances of a tell-all book to revealing the true workings within cycling in those years that we currently only get partial glimpses of.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts