Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Done Done Done Another One Bites The Dust

philippec said:
So Valverde just crashed out w/ a broken collarbone -- This Tour is cursed for the favourites!

A+

Philippe

Not cursed.... Valverde was simply not meant to win. I could have told you that... In fact I did.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
rocco said:
Not cursed.... Valverde was simply not meant to win. I could have told you that... In fact I did.
Saying that after he fell and broke his collarbone is rather cheap IMHO.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
What can I say... I'm a cheap date.

rogger said:
Saying that after he fell and broke his collarbone is rather cheap IMHO.
He didn't die... he broke his freak'n collarbone. It's one of the main occupational hazards of pro cycling. Life goes on.

Anyway, I said on RBR that Valverde wouldn't win and was not favored to finish this TDF long before today. That's a fact.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
rocco said:
He didn't die... he broke his freak'n collarbone. It's one of the main occupational hazards of pro cycling. Life goes on.

Anyway, I said on RBR that Valverde wouldn't win and was not favored to finish this TDF long before today. That's a fact.
You foresaw that he was going to crash? That's impressive!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
rocco said:
Where did I ever say he would crash? I said he wouldn't win and questionable to finish.
So your prediction is worth sh*t, since he didn't give up because he couldn't hack it. It's certainly nothing to boast about.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
rogger said:
So your prediction is worth sh*t, since he didn't give up because he couldn't hack it. It's certainly nothing to boast about.

Touchy touchy... He didn't finish and he will not win this year. He broke his clavicle and he couldn't hack it. Others have completed the TDF with a broken clavicle. Luck plays a big part of cycling and especially the TDF. I think you make your own luck and he probably touched a wheel in a moment of fatigue. He also crashed and banged his knee into his handlebars last year. He couldn't hack the pain then either and gave up. You can't win if you can't finish. That's a fact. That's cycling. I'm sorry for his loss. ...and yours too apparently.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
rocco said:
I think you make your own luck and he probably touched a wheel in a moment of fatigue. He also crashed and banged his knee into his handlebars last year. He couldn't hack the pain then either and gave up. You can't win if you can't finish. That's a fact. That's cycling.
Well stated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
something learned

He didn't finish and he will not win this year. He broke his clavicle and he couldn't hack it. Others have completed the TDF with a broken clavicle.

I guess we could deduce that Tugboat and Piti didn't have the same vetrinarian...

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Boom!... Crash! ...but seriously folks.

rssljhnsn said:
He didn't finish and he will not win this year. He broke his clavicle and he couldn't hack it. Others have completed the TDF with a broken clavicle.

I guess we could deduce that Tugboat and Piti didn't have the same vetrinarian...
Tugboat died but Piti hasn't so I guess that makes it all equal then. I can't remember his name but another guy finished the TDF with a broken clavicle during the 1980s.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gee, what a load of sh*t some of you guys talk. Rogger is entirely right. Of course, I predicted Ullrich wouldn't win either - he just can't hack those dope scandals.Valverde was a favorite to win the TDF with many (including the veteran British commentator Phil Ligget) and with good reason. While I hope Big George wins the tour some of you are that biased toward US riders.it's sickening.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
sako said:
Gee, what a load of sh*t some of you guys talk. Rogger is entirely right. Of course, I predicted Ullrich wouldn't win either - he just can't hack those dope scandals.Valverde was a favorite to win the TDF with many (including the veteran British commentator Phil Ligget) and with good reason. While I hope Big George wins the tour some of you are that biased toward US riders.it's sickening.
Of course Rogger is correct, but that doesn't seem to stop Rocco from making an ass out of himself..

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Valverde will be the real deal for the Tour in due time

sako said:

It's not one bit about bias. Valverde is an exceptional talent and if he lives up to his full potential he will do great things. I think he's a bona fide TDF contender for the future - 2008 or 2009. I and others here who have a track record here and have shown to know cycling have said all year that Valverde was not the guy for 2006. He hasn't finished one TDF yet and he'll need to get that experience before he can win it.

P.S.

Liggett says a lot of things that don't turn out to be correct. I'm sure he often knows what he's saying won't pan out either but he says them anyway to add color to the commentary.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
It's a shame that he crashed out...would've been good to see him battling it out in the mountains. Never want to see anyone hurt either...my clav flinches everytime I see a rider go down.

And yikes did Dekker take it bad...check the pix...don't look if you mind blood... http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/photo?sl...fc3e381.cycling_tour_de_france_tdf152&prov=ap)

All that being said it sounds like Valverde touched wheels and went down...that's just cycling...gotta stay alert. He had a great shot at top 10 but Rocco's 100% right, likely not a podium threat since he's never finished the Tour and he's not an ITT stud.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.