Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at some 50mm rims and am wondering what is the best way to go for valve/extension combination:

1. a shorter valve with a longer extension
2. a longer valve with a shorter extension
3. a really long (80mm) valve and ditch the extension altogether

Approach #3 obviously only works for shallower rim depths (an 80 on a 50 just might work?).

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tubular or clincher?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah, but with tubulars the valve core is almost always removable. Tufo and now Continental sell extenders that move the core outside the rim so you can get it out to add sealant if you flat. Vittoria has come up with some proprietary valve that unscrews right out of the tire and it kinda sucks. The issue that I've seen most with typical extenders is that sometimes the core vibrates itself closed and it becomes next to impossible to get air in the tube.

·
Registered
446 Posts
agree... buy the 60mm.. much easier than using an extender. i had some issues with my extenders, even with teflon tape, couldn't get a good pump going, kept leaking as i pumped... the 60mm have been perfect for my 46mm's... and i keep an extender in my tool bag in the event i need it down the road with some tube failures...

·
Registered
474 Posts
For tubulars, I use continental valve extenders. For clinchers I use 60mm valves, but I also carry an extender just in case.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm running a 48mm stem with SRAM 33mm extensions. I would prefer to use the 80mm and not run extensions, but in my area...I can't seem to find any 80mm valved stems.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,439 Posts
AvantDale said:
I'm running a 48mm stem with SRAM 33mm extensions. I would prefer to use the 80mm and not run extensions, but in my area...I can't seem to find any 80mm valved stems.
why don't you just ask your lbs to order some for you? they're not hard to find, and if you buy a few, maybe they'll start stocking them. we always have 48, 60 and 80mm valves in stock.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I can pick up tubes at Performance for 3.99 each. If I ask my lbs to order the 80mm ones it would cost me twice that.

48mm seems to be a real common size. Also if I needed a tube randomly, I can go into any generic sporting goods place that sells presta tubes and pick one up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like 80s on 50mm rims rather than 60s because not every pump gets a full grip unless it's got plenty to hold on to. Having once been a few mm short of grip (thanks to the angel who stopped with a floor pump in the trunk!), better safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts