1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out www.vanquisheyewear.com

if you subscribe to Bicycling magazine the offer is open until 8/31
I think it's open to everyone who visits the site until 7/31

free glasses, up to 4 pairs, all you pay is shipping. Also a free watch if you get 4 pairs. Shipping on any of the glasses that retail over $210 is $19.00. Not sure if they will be any good, but it's polarized sunglasses for 19 bucks so can't go too wrong.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a guy I work with whos wife works in optics. He said it's not uncommon for her to come home with 10 pairs of new glasses that one of the companies she retails just came out with and then 3 months down the road he'll stop in to see her and they're selling for $100 or more. They hand the things out to employees and tell them to give them out to friends in hopes of creating some demand I guess. I put an order in, so when (fingers crossed) they get here I'll post regarding their quality.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
ummm, they've been doing this for years......

I've seen those ads in bicycling magazine, outdoors, even magazines like time and newsweek and a few times in local newspapers. Chances are, you're getting crap-- since the one I saw from the recent bicycling magazine doesnt look much different from the ones I saw months or even years ago. My wife is an optometrist, she sees those things and laughs, because high end stuff does not go that route--

good luck with it though!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shipping and handling are all there worth

I bought these things from Bicycling a couple years ago.....there not very good but
then again I go through sunglasses like potato chips:p I sit on um,dog eats them,drop and scratch the lenses ect ect:cryin:

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Ok, I wanted a pair of shades I didn't really care about for riding so I bit on this.

I ordered them last week, they arrived today. S&H was like $13.

All I can say is: LOL! These have to be the cheapest and skimpiest POSes I've ever seen. The $15 pair of shades I just bought from Nashbar are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than these things and the Nashbar shades come with interchangable lenses and a nice case.

It's not a scam and maybe they have some ok stuff but I wouldn't waste your hard earned $$$ trying to find out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've been tempted by these, but never ordered any. On the other hand, I have a pair of Nashbar Ares. They came with 3 lenses, are super comfy, & don't make you look like a Fred. If I remember right, I got them on sale for around $15.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I've been tempted by these, but never ordered any. On the other hand, I have a pair of Nashbar Ares. They came with 3 lenses, are super comfy, & don't make you look like a Fred. If I remember right, I got them on sale for around $15.
The Ares are what I just bought too. Great deal for $15.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
they are cheap, but just how cheap?

KenB said:
Ok, I wanted a pair of shades I didn't really care about for riding so I bit on this.

I ordered them last week, they arrived today. S&H was like $13.

All I can say is: LOL! These have to be the cheapest and skimpiest POSes I've ever seen. The $15 pair of shades I just bought from Nashbar are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than these things and the Nashbar shades come with interchangable lenses and a nice case.

It's not a scam and maybe they have some ok stuff but I wouldn't waste your hard earned $$$ trying to find out.
KenB: which ones did you order? hopefully, it's not the one i like :rolleyes:

i too was curious about that ad in Bicycling Mag, but i was hesitant because
i could not find out how wide they were temple-to-temple. i hate having my
head squashed and with dents on my temples when i take them off.

i did find a pair locally in a swimwear shop that were the same frame(vq5a)
except the lenses were non-polarized for, get this: $8. these are however, the best
$8 sunnies i've ever had - they fit well to my head and have endured my
generally rough treatment. my guess is that the markup is probably around 2x,
so 13-to-19 bucks for throwaway polarized sunnies is probably OK, they make some
money, i get decent, cheap sunnies that don't break the first month and i won't
cry if i crack them up(like my nikes, vuarnets, oakleys, raybans. sniff.)

i've given up paying anything more than 25-40 bucks for name-brand type stuff.
they all end up scratched and wrecked anyway soon enough. i've two smith moabs
from nashbar for a total of 39.99 that i don't wear riding anymore because these
cheapies feel better and don't dry my contacts out as fast. and the moabs slip
down my nose much too easily. ah well.

i may bite on a pair by next month, you know, to have, just in case ;-) i like the ones
that are Oakley-ish(vq7) and the ones i already have.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
meathead said:
great for safety shades while mowing the lawn etc. though...

my bad folks
No harm done! I wasn't expecting anything like my Oakley Pennies. :)

I'll probably use them for just that, or I'll let my kid have them for when she's on her bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.