Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Doc said I could get back on the bike in a week if the pain was gone. Looking thru other threads on the topic, the advice has mainly been two weeks with some cheating and getting back on in a week. What do you guys think?

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,349 Posts
I had mine done a few years ago before I started cycling but I was an avid runner.

I had the procedure done on a Thursday morning, then spent the next day and half intimate with a frozen bag of peas and corn.

Monday morning I was running five miles without too much pain. Some discomfort but nothing bad. It was about two weeks before everything was back to normal. The funny thing was when I went back to the Dr. to give a sample for testing and the nurse handed me this huge container, like a half liter plastic cup. I certainly hope they didn't want to fill it up!

·
Registered
172 Posts
crumjack said:
My Doc said I could get back on the bike in a week if the pain was gone. Looking thru other threads on the topic, the advice has mainly been two weeks with some cheating and getting back on in a week. What do you guys think?
Had mine a few years ago. Doc said his nurses would say use the bags of peas to ease the pain. He recommended laying around for a day to 2 days doing absolutely nothing. By day 4 I was easing back on the bike. Not to say that maybe a month down the road you might not have a throb or two, but they subside pretty quickly in my experience.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pain is not too bad today. I'm using an ice pack around the house.

I did work in some bike related activity by visiting a few LBSs to try on some shoes. Ended up going with SIDIs. I was amazed at how much better they fit than everything else I tried (PI, Nike, Spec, Shim).

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
crumjack said:
listen to the doc--no cheating or you'll regret it. ouch...can still remember that.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
firstrax said:
I got the scalpeless technique and was on the bike the next day.
there is such a thing? how do they do it? curious....

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
If Doug S. doesn't mind given up his moniker...

Does this mean we can call you "Fixed"... ???? :rolleyes:

Heal quickly!

·
high plains drifter
48 Posts
give it time

better to give it a few extra days and let it completely heal.I went back to work doing physical labor after 5 days and my junk was super sensitive for like 3 months.I know I aggrevated it by going back to work to soon.
it made biking very uncomfortable

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
there is such a thing? how do they do it? curious....
The skin is punctured and stretched instead of cut with a knife. No stitches involved and faster healing. My regular doctor was looking into getting trained on the technique and asked if I would go to another doctor and report back on the experience. Two thumbs up. Within 45 minutes of getting home I was outside mowing the lawn. The next day I rode 20 miles with slight discomfort. Within a week I could not even find where the puncture was made.
Its made a vas deferens in my life.
Oh, when the doctor says "just a little prick" he's talking about the needle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
crumjack said:
I had a vasectomy in June of '05. I have my second vasectomy scheduled three weeks from today. I'm a little upset at the doctor - it's not like I was broken, and he had to fix me (no pun intended); I was working just fine, and all he had to do was break me, but he couldn't even get that right. The lesson: make sure you get tested, and use protection until you get the all clear from your doc.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is it sunny and 50 today? I picked January to do this because its usually grey skies and 25.

·
soulfly
60 Posts
vasectomy

I had mine done last winter,doctor said to stay off the bike for a week. I did wait the week and had some discomfort.I would use a ice pack after riding.

·
Registered
95 Posts
crumjack said:
Not a vasectomy, but I had epidydymitis and had surgery in December of 2004. Doc told me to stay off the bike for at least eight weeks. It took me four months before I could get back on. Bad part is, my doc told me I may still have pain and sensitivity even after healing. I got back on the bike last April and naturally did too much too fast and had to rest for a couple of weeks. I've had a little pain since healing, but not too much. All in all, I consider myself lucky that I can still ride. Good luck with your recovery.

Mark
(Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those of us who are doing it.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Eyestrain said:
I had a vasectomy in June of '05. I have my second vasectomy scheduled three weeks from today. I'm a little upset at the doctor - it's not like I was broken, and he had to fix me (no pun intended); I was working just fine, and all he had to do was break me, but he couldn't even get that right. The lesson: make sure you get tested, and use protection until you get the all clear from your doc.
So they never verified that you were shooting blanks? Holy crap, talk about bad medicine. I hope the second one is free... My doc had me provide 2 samples before he gave me the OK to start firing away.

As for healing, about a week I was back in the gym and feeling OK. The weekend I had it done was a little rough though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Reality for me...

The Doc mentioned that avoiding bruising is key. I took 7-8 days off. When I got on I lowered the saddle slightly and stayed out of the drops. About 8-10 days later all was fine. Rushing back on the bike is not worth it.

Besides you don't want to ride when its 50deg in January. GRR%&&%.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
It was nice here in Indy today and even tho I've been workin on my other machines I had to take a long ride on the road bike. No vasectomy for me, just M&M (menopause and monogamy). Congrats CJ! Hope you heal in time to enjoy some of this beautiful weather!

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stevee said:
It was nice here in Indy today and even tho I've been workin on my other machines I had to take a long ride on the road bike. No vasectomy for me, just M&M (menopause and monogamy). Congrats CJ! Hope you heal in time to enjoy some of this beautiful weather!
Thanks, the Colts kicked me in the sack on sunday :mad: , the doc cut my sack friday. Its been a painful week but I'm whining now. At least I got to try valium for the first time. :)

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I too have suffered with respect to the Colts untimely demise. Managed to muster the strength today to get a 30 pack of Miller in anticipation of tomorrow's games. I hate having to take my car out for brew. I think I need a BOB trailer, or maybe I could do 15 on a side in some panniers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vasectomy Time!!!

Congradulations, I just have mine done Tuesday and thinking the same thing, not expecting nice weather in January. I was told wait two weeks before doing excercise. The doc said " No riding a horse, No riding a bike and No riding the wife." I think I will agree I still have some discomfort and cant imagine sitting on a bike seat yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts