Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a frameset from an European supplier. I live in the US. If the frameset is $1000 USD -- what can I expect to pay for VAT?

Who do I pay, the company that delivers the box?

I assume I'd have to be home to "accept" delivery (and pay).

I'm pretty clueless on this subject -- you experiences much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,749 Posts
sherpa said:
I'm considering buying a frameset from an European supplier. I live in the US. If the frameset is $1000 USD -- what can I expect to pay for VAT?

Thanks
AFAIK, if you're in the US you won't have to pay VAT-possibly import duties to the US Gov't though.

The VAT is usually paid to the Customs agency of the customers' delivery address.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You Don't Pay Vat !

Value added tax is not charged to U.S residents -definitely not from the Uk or Ireland and I'd be surprised if you were charged from anywhere else in Europe as it would be illegal.

Whether or not you will be charged import duty by your Revenue services is another thing,
but you could get it sent as a"Gift".

Most sites has this advise posted somewhere - if its not then ask by mail.
here is an example notice :

Tax Charges

For orders made from the UK or the European Union, 17.5% VAT is added. All other orders placed outside of the EU are VAT free.

A friend of mine in Minnesota bought a bike from Ribble and did not pay VAT notr was he charged taxes in the U.S.

all the best,

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
like the others wrote, you won't have to pay VAT, and the chances of having to pay duties are slim. even if you do get hit, you'll only have to pay peanuts compared to how it would be if you biught a bike in the US and had it sent to the EU

sherpa said:

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
when I bought my Mavic kysriums from Totalcycling.com a few years back. I had to pay the post office something like $40. The postman came by to collect the VAT.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
I purchase from Europs regulaerly.

I've yet to pay anything other than the cost of the product and shipping. European pricing is much better on many items except for those actually made in the States.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Mashmaniac said:
when I bought my Mavic kysriums from Totalcycling.com a few years back. I had to pay the post office something like $40. The postman came by to collect the VAT.

How is that possible....VAT is a euro tax on their goods. Not here in the USA.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
doubt he/she paid VAT, but probably paid import duties, which is a surprise to me. guess the customs agent had a quota to fill that day.

zooog said:
How is that possible....VAT is a euro tax on their goods. Not here in the USA.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Uk = 17.5%V.A.T, Germany = 16.%V.A.T, U.S. Forces member stationed overseas + 3$ V.A.T relief form = almost priceless:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts