Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new (January 2008) VDO C4 wireless -- nice computer. Works great ... until yesterday morning, when it started reading my speed and miles in fits and starts.

I checked the alignment on the sensor (on the left chainstay) and the magnet -- couldn't be any closer.

Any ideas?

Do the batteries on these things run out this fast? I've had a Specialized computer in the past, and it didn't go through batteries quickly, and I've had two Sigma computers -- batteries in those things last forever.

Or is it something else?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'd start with new batteries and "re-link" (whatever they call that process where the computer "finds" the sensor). It's possible that they sent you crappy ones. FWIW, my VDO C3 is the same age as yours and I haven't replaced the batteries yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vd0 C4 -- R.i.p.

Here's an update -- I changed the batteries in the head unit. No change.

In fact, the head unit seemed to be working fine all along. It just kept timing out for lack of signal from...

... the sending unit. Changed the battery there, too. Nothing.

Reset the computer several times. Nothing.

So, packed it up, shipped it back home to Performance for a refund and ordered a Cateye Strada wireless from Mr. P.

The Cateye looks good (on the Web site, anyway) -- big numbers! Can't wait to see it on my bars.

Too bad about the VDO, though. A really nice computer.

And with the VDO I could clean up the fork by putting the sending unit on the chainstay (can't do that with the Cateye apparently -- a shame).

Interesting to be riding without a computer while the Cateye Strada makes its way to my front porch. I can't tell for sure, but it feels like I am riding slower.

I'm digging the look of nice, uncluttered handlebars. But it drives me crazy not knowing how far I've gone and how fast I'm rolling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.