Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience and opinions regarding VDO computers? I've been unhappy with my Cateyes and have a chance to get a new one.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
KarlW said:
Anyone have any experience and opinions regarding VDO computers? I've been unhappy with my Cateyes and have a chance to get a new one.

I have two - a C10+ and an older C15+.

They work pretty well but they have a couple of faults which annoy me. First, the mounting mechanism is a little cheesy and both have semi-broken to the point where they still work but not as adverstised. In the case of the 1st one, one of the little flanges that holds the unit in the bracket snapped off rending it less than securely fastened. The second one literally came unglued from the bracket which was easily enough fixed.

Secondly, these two have a lot of oddball data pages that I've never used. They have two buttons on the bottom - the left providing all the regular stuff - time, distance, max, avg. and the right which gives a bunch of things I can't even list.

Third and most importantly - battery life. I own a bunch of computers - Cateye, Vetta and Sigma - and the VDOs are the only ones that I discover dead when I walk up to use the bike. Now, some of my bikes don't get ridden all that often which means the time span is more than it would be if I rode them all the time. However, I have Cateyes that have never had a battery change (just as old as the VDOs). The Sigmas aren't great, but the VDOs are far worse.

For me, they work reliably which is important. I'd probably hesitate to buy a third but, depending on the price I might. Not a bad product, just a bit more flukey than some.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Performance by VDO

I've got the older model sold by Performance up until they changed designs a couple years back. It's wireless and interchangeable between two bikes. Never had any trouble with it and I've used it about 4 yrs now. I'd recomend them but I've got no experience with the newer VDO models they now sell.

YMMV, Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing but problems

I HAD the VDO C3DS wireless with wireless cadence. I had nothing but problems with it. If I rode past a transformer it would stop reading. If I rode near high voltage lines it would stop reading, and if the temperature dropped below 65F it shut off completely. I even tried replacing the batteries every time I went out. I emailed VDO customer service about it, but they never answered. I replaced it with a $20 wireless computer from Academy Sports that never failed me and I used that until I received a Garmin Edge 305 as a birthday gift from my better half.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had C15+'s on 3 bikes (my 2 and the wife's). All 3 died within 1 year. Replaced the batteries in the sending unit and the receiver in them but no go.

Replaced them with all Cateye Micro and have good performance with zero issues for 1 1/2 years now.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Yeah.....same here

I had the VDO C4DS that I managed to talk my wife into letting me buy. Boy was that a mistake!! The unit kept zeroing out, sometimes for miles, and would never correct itself, or "compensate" for lost time as it's suppopsed to. Really let me down too, because I liked it. It looked good, and had a large screen I liked. This was the third wireless computer I had, and will be the last. (the other two had similar issues) Had to break out my old "Vetta" RT77, the only computer that never let me down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the VDO 1.0 wired. It works great. Calculates incline, does altitude etc.
Does not do cadence.
I have tried a wide variety of wireless computers and generally they all stink. The batteries wear out , they drop data and they are a real pain. Consider wired for simplicity, lack of dropped data and much better battery life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.