Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried to mount this unit which I purchased a while ago. Figured it all out, well not all apparently... Using a mavic magnet for my Ksyrium SLs. Upon testing the computer, found out that it will only register speed when front wheel is rotating backwards, otherwise it just reads zeroes (even when wheel is turning forwards). I mounted the sensor properly according to instructions, but then switched its position to test speed reading problem. I flipped it upside down. No difference, it still registers speed when wheel turns backwards only. Changed magnet position and orientation, no difference. What does it all mean? Could I be that stupid? Don't answer that even if you're thinking it. Must I pedal backwards even for century rides? Should I turn saddle around? This could change everything!!! Jokes aside, I really don't know if I have a defective unit or if I'm just missing something here. HELP ME please.
nealrab

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have that cyclocomputer and have never seen anything like what you’ve described. I receive a reading regardless of the direction of wheel rotation.

My guesses are that the magnet isn’t close enough to the fork-mounted sensor, the magnet face isn’t parallel to the plane of the wheel, the computer is on the side of the handlebar opposite the magnet (you need “line of sight”), you’re already riding backward but don’t know it.

Hope this helps,

Des

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx des

Well I might actually be riding backwards... but the display unit and the sensor are both on the right side of the bike (bar and fork respectively). The magnet is also in good position 2mm from the curved edge of the sensor and lined up with the indicator mark on the sensor assembly. Weird! It seems to be getting a distance reading the more I roll the wheel forwards but no speed reading. I certainly can't explain it, but thx for the input.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
While I've had too many problems with my VDO MC 1.0 I haven't had the problem you've described. I get a reading regardless of the rotational direction of the wheel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting, rocco

After thinking about it for a while, it would seem like the sensor would pick up the magnet motion regardless of the direction of the wheel. Yet, I have had some info that would suggest that the sensor should be placed on the left side of the fork regardless of the location of the display computer (left or right side of the bar). I may try that just for kicks and it might actually work! But it would certainly seem like it should be on the same side of the bike as the display to shorten the distance and provide a more direct line of transmission. I haven't had much difficulty with my Sigma unit, but never could get the new Mavic unit to work properly. I guess that's why the big boys stick to wired units! I am a little curious as to what other probs you've had with the "top of the line" vdo unit.
Thx for the input.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey, you’re getting mileage readings but not speed? When it’s time for a new battery in the computer (about 7,000 miles for me), most of the readings go haywire, but the mileage accumulates as ever. Try changing the battery in either the computer, the sensor, or both.

My computer and sensor are both on the right side.

I think that the computer’s mount is flimsy, but it hasn’t failed me yet. I love all the features of the VDO and its display.

Des

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
nealrab said:
After thinking about it for a while, it would seem like the sensor would pick up the magnet motion regardless of the direction of the wheel. Yet, I have had some info that would suggest that the sensor should be placed on the left side of the fork regardless of the location of the display computer (left or right side of the bar). I may try that just for kicks and it might actually work! But it would certainly seem like it should be on the same side of the bike as the display to shorten the distance and provide a more direct line of transmission. I haven't had much difficulty with my Sigma unit, but never could get the new Mavic unit to work properly. I guess that's why the big boys stick to wired units! I am a little curious as to what other probs you've had with the "top of the line" vdo unit.
Thx for the input.

To clarify I have a VDO MC 1.0+ wireless. I've had cyclometers (wired and wireless) that cost a fraction of what the VDO costs and without the problems. First the poorly designed/engineered mount broke then the button for the altitude functions crapped out with less than six months of use. VDO was very slow to send a replacement and for $150 that's just not acceptable. The marketing material on Competitive Cyclist says, "VDO instrumentation is found on BMW, Porsche and Mercedes, so you can trust that they're reliable." ...LOL! I'd advise people to steer clear of this OP/PITA/POC.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not a good review there

well, I'm still thinking about how much work I want to do to get this thing to work, but I'd certainly think twice about it now. what are u using now? I kinda like my simple sigma unit, thought I'd get a more solid versatile computer with the vdo 1 +, but ??? thx for the info. Maybe I'll just get another sigma and forget the vdo. don't want to continue to throw out $$ if simple things like mounts are crapping out. Like u say 150 bucks isn't chicken feed for a computer, it should be solid from day one and be completely well thought out all the way down the line. I hate the idea of using those tie rods also!! Now I'm getting ticked off.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
nealrab said:
well, I'm still thinking about how much work I want to do to get this thing to work, but I'd certainly think twice about it now. what are u using now? I kinda like my simple sigma unit, thought I'd get a more solid versatile computer with the vdo 1 +, but ??? thx for the info. Maybe I'll just get another sigma and forget the vdo. don't want to continue to throw out $$ if simple things like mounts are crapping out. Like u say 150 bucks isn't chicken feed for a computer, it should be solid from day one and be completely well thought out all the way down the line. I hate the idea of using those tie rods also!! Now I'm getting ticked off.

I still have a basic Cateye wireless that's about 4 or 5 years old. I got the VDO because I mostly wanted the extra altitude and grade info. I switched back to the old Cateye while I waited about 3+ months for VDO to send me a replacement unit under the warranty. Now I've been using the replacement VDO for the past 2 months so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
patient consumer

You waited 3 months?? Geez, I'd have given up after 3 weeks figuring it would never happen. I did fire off a msg on the vdo site but I don't really think I'll hear anything from them. I'm thinking it may, in fact, be a simple sender battery issue, so I'll try that too, but I'm already making plans to get another sigma. Never had a prob with the 1200 wireless.
thx for your take on the whole issue. Jury's still out on vdo, but so far rather unimpressive for the $$ spent.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Des/Rocco, here's the upshot of the problem. I changed out both batteries (sender & computer), remounted the sender opposite to the diagram in the vdo booklet (on right fork with the turnscrew facing upwards instead of down), and moved the magnet farther away from the sender (approx 4 mm). Voila! It works. Maybe it was a battery issue, I had already experimented with magnet distance and with sender orientation which failed to change the lack of a reading. Anyway I also ordered another Sigma puter just in case this vdo craps out (1606L RDS). I'll compare and see which I like better. Thx for your help!!! NR

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
nealrab said:
Des/Rocco, here's the upshot of the problem. I changed out both batteries (sender & computer), remounted the sender opposite to the diagram in the vdo booklet (on right fork with the turnscrew facing upwards instead of down), and moved the magnet farther away from the sender (approx 4 mm). Voila! It works. Maybe it was a battery issue, I had already experimented with magnet distance and with sender orientation which failed to change the lack of a reading. Anyway I also ordered another Sigma puter just in case this vdo craps out (1606L RDS). I'll compare and see which I like better. Thx for your help!!! NR

I'm glad you got it sorted out. I'm in the same place in that I'm just waiting to see how long the thing holds up. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts