Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have one. I bought it for training for climbing. I like it. Everything seems to work fine. The only thing I didn't like is the speed is in half mile increments. 18.5 19.0 19.5 20.0 But after a couple of weeks. I got used to it. I use two dams that I know the elevation to measure the computer altimeter accuracy. It seems to be within 5 to 10 feet of what it should be. Close enough for me. I bought the wired version from bikesomewhere.com for $92 .

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
saccycling said:
I have one. I bought it for training for climbing. I like it. Everything seems to work fine. The only thing I didn't like is the speed is in half mile increments. 18.5 19.0 19.5 20.0 But after a couple of weeks. I got used to it. I use two dams that I know the elevation to measure the computer altimeter accuracy. It seems to be within 5 to 10 feet of what it should be. Close enough for me. I bought the wired version from bikesomewhere.com for $92 .
Thanks for the info...anyone else have an experience... ?

·
DraftMaster
214 Posts
I like them also.
What I don't like is their cheesy stem mount.
The computer rotates and snaps into a rubberized cup. The cup is held to the stem strap by two flimsy pieces of rubber. Guaranteed to fail eventually, as two of mine did. The second time, the head unit hit the deck and was totaled.
I finally took to pre-tearing the rubber cup off and reinforcing it with hot glue. Seemed to work.
Having said that though, the computer itself is a very nice unit. I liked the altimeter functions, including average grade, maximum grade, and total climbing per ride and total on the bike itself. If you're going to work that hard, you ought to have something to show for it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I really liked mine until the buttons started sticking. I think it lasted about 15,000 miles. The mount is flimsy but I picked up on that quickly so took care, and it never failed.

Been using Polar’s CS400 for over a year now because I love having the altimeter function.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Moontrane said:
I really liked mine until the buttons started sticking. I think it lasted about 15,000 miles. The mount is flimsy but I picked up on that quickly so took care, and it never failed.

Been using Polar’s CS400 for over a year now because I love having the altimeter function.
How much is it for the Polar CS400 ?
Is it wireless ?

Anyone want to sell the VDO to me ?

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
rcordray said:
Yes, changed over to a Polar CS600 a year ago also.
Demoted the VDO to the Mtn Bike.

Miss the average grade function and total accumulated climbing of all rides.

Polar is good but still not perfect.
I think my CS400 is the same as the CS600 but without the power feature. I get average grade and cumulative climbing from mine. Go to File – Totals – Total Ascent for cumulative climbing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.