Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to throw a good cyclocomputer on my new bike that I'm building up and came across the VDO MC1.0 Wireless Cyclometer w/ Altimeter. Seems pretty cool, seems to be able to do just about anything and love the altitude feature, I would love to be able to see what my grade is and etc, plus it's wireless. Anyone have any feedback on this? The only issue that I have is that it doesn't have a cadence option. Does anyone know if there's an add on to this or a similar computer that has all the functions that this computer has including cadence for around the same price?

Thanks,
Dave

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
DRLski said:
I'm looking to throw a good cyclocomputer on my new bike that I'm building up and came across the VDO MC1.0 Wireless Cyclometer w/ Altimeter. Seems pretty cool, seems to be able to do just about anything and love the altitude feature, I would love to be able to see what my grade is and etc, plus it's wireless. Anyone have any feedback on this? The only issue that I have is that it doesn't have a cadence option. Does anyone know if there's an add on to this or a similar computer that has all the functions that this computer has including cadence for around the same price?

Thanks,
Dave

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3786
VDO has an ad for this computer on Pez, so take it FWIW

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
user rating: steer clear

I've been using one off and on again when it works. After only about 2 months of using mine the mount broke. I went back to the LBS and they gave me the replacement part right there and then which was a relief. Then the altimeter button was losing functionality until it just stopped working at about 5 months after the purchase. I took the whole thing back to the LBS and I had to wait for about 3+ months for the replacement to come. I had make lots of nagging calls to even get it that soon. I've been using the replacment for about a month now and so far so good but we'll see. The bottom line is that if it works it's pretty cool but that a big if. The whole mounting hardware assembly is [email protected] The industrial design and engineering that went into this item doesn't seem up to task. For $150 I woud rate it an expensive PITA. I wish I could be more postitve but I'd rate this item as a "steer clear".

·
Registered
607 Posts
Regarding the mount for the VDO, I find that it requires a bit of gentleness, which I think should not be necessary for a bike computer. Rocco’s experience with the mount is consistent with my comments on the housing’s fragility.

I’ve never had any problems with its functionality and would want all the main features again if I had to replace it with another brand.

Des

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought a stem mount from Excel Sports-$10. It is a rock solid mount-but it’s only for the wireless VDO MC1.0. My bar mount never failed over 10k+ miles, but I didn’t want to take a chance.

Des

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
reject...

I don't believe they have one with altimeter and cadence, but I just bought a VDO from performance that is a wireless computer with wireless cadence. I persoanlly don't like a bunch of crap zip tied to my bike, so I found it unsuitable. I guess I'm too picky.

As for the altimeter, I ride the mountains all the time, but I know the altitude at the top of Mt. Evans and all the major passes, so I don't think it's all that valuable. I would like to know the total amount on climbing on my regular 50 mile route, but I know it's in the 3500-4000' range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts