Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pop-tart thread ("you know you're getting old when...) got me thinking...with the recent disclosure that many red food colorings are actually the ground carcasses of Dactylopius coccus beatles, do Vegans consider bugs as acceptable to ingest?

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
real stonie said:
The pop-tart thread ("you know you're getting old when...) got me thinking...with the recent disclosure that many red food colorings are actually the ground carcasses of Dactylopius coccus beatles, do Vegans consider bugs as acceptable to ingest?

Campari used to rely on the beetles for the deep red color of their wonderful apertif......

I think it's artificial coloring now though.......

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
real stonie said:
I'm not a vegan and I wouldn't want to eat them.

They are in the citrus Listerene, too. Yuck.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
After watching so many episodes of Bizarre Foods and Anthony Bourdain, I honestly plan to start eating grasshoppers this year when I find them in my garden. Apperently they're pretty tasty fried up with some spices.

I'm not a vegan however.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I've had fried crickets before. Tasted like chicken. Well, no, they tasted like a fried bugs.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
There are days that I'm riding home where I must eat about 4 thousand gnats.

Afterwards I feel so bad that I go home and and subject myself to my daily flagellation.

jo4

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Afterwards I feel so bad that I go home and and subject myself to my daily flatulation.
Fixerated it.

In related news: I knew a guy who considered himself a "freegan." If he was buying it, it would be all vegan. But, if a sausage pizza came to the table, he'd eat it. His figuring was that his money would only go to what he supported, but if it was already dead and cooked, it made no sense to let it go to waste.

I always respected that uniquely odd take on things.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
catzilla said:
Fixerated it.

In related news: I knew a guy who considered himself a "freegan." If he was buying it, it would be all vegan. But, if a sausage pizza came to the table, he'd eat it. His figuring was that his money would only go to what he supported, but if it was already dead and cooked, it made no sense to let it go to waste.

good plan

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
catzilla said:
Fixerated it.

Not a bad plan at all. I like it because of its logic.

i was reading up a little bit on Buddhism and there are sects that follow something similar to this, the only extra catch was that it couldn't have been prepared for them specifically.

So if you were going to throw away a sausage pizza, they could eat it. But if you were all hanging out and you ordered a sausage pizza for everyone, they couldn't eat any. Unless I guess you had a bunch left over that you were planning on throwing in the dumpster, in which case they could, I suppose.

joe

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I think, whether they are listed as ingredients or not, food items are *allowed* so many insect parts as unavoidable in our food distribution stream.

How can you avoid insect contamination? It's impossible without resorting to chemicals potentially much worse for your health than a few beetle legs or carapaces.

Insect are everywhere. We are breathing parts into our lungs constantly. There's no reason to believe we aren't ingesting them.

Personnaly I wouldn't feel bad about eating insects. They are low enough on the food chain to be numerous and under exploited. We're not talking about Bluefin Tuna here. A good belostomatid is almost as big as a softshell crab. Imagine, if cicadas were as tasty as my dog thinks they are world hinger could be taken care of without raising cattle and the resources involved.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
catzilla said:
Fixerated it.

The slope is way too slippery though. Do you not buy razors from Gilette because they test on animals? Unless you're the Unabomber you probably support something objectionable to someone else and even then, doubtful you could always avoid giving money to those you disagree with.

I have way more respect for people who just choose to live simply--not those who try and make a political statement out of it.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
firstrax said:
Huh, what? I thought you were.
Vegan means no animal prods of any type. No milk, cheese, eggs leather etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As previously stated you can't avoid insects in food. Here is a site which shows what the USDA allows for classifying certain food products as US #1 grade:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/text18/food.html

I knew a guy who worked for a company which processed tomatoes into various products like ketchup. He told me they had one guy who would look at the ketchup and determine how many spider legs there were under a microscope. So you have a choice, you can either be poisoned by pesticides or eat a few insect body parts as previously mentioned.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
firstrax said:
Huh, what? I thought you were.
No, I'm a vegetarian. Lacto-vegetarian, if you want to be technical. I'm only opposed to eating insects because it's gross.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
I have been told by what I consider to be a reliable source, and med professionals can join in here, but if you are allergic to shellfish, you should avoid insects too as you could have an allergic reaction to them as well.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I have been told by what I consider to be a reliable source, and med professionals can join in here, but if you are allergic to shellfish, you should avoid insects too as you could have an allergic reaction to them as well.
How many bugs do you swallow on a typical ride in the summer?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
vonteity said:
No, I'm a vegetarian. Lacto-vegetarian, if you want to be technical. I'm only opposed to eating insects because it's gross.
so if I said bite me I'd be safe? NO I am NOT an insect, I am meat.

My daughter is a vegetarian (well technically she is a Jessitarian, Jessica only eats what Jessica likes) but when I say bite me....she does!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts