Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there are any vegans on here willing to discuss pre-ride meal/nutrition routine?

I went plant-based last year and although I feel fantastic and my fitness is better than ever, I am still struggling to find the best routine before rides. Would be interested in what you eat and how long before your ride. And on-bike eating too! Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wondering if there are any vegans on here willing to discuss pre-ride meal/nutrition routine?

I went plant-based last year and although I feel fantastic and my fitness is better than ever, I am still struggling to find the best routine before rides. Would be interested in what you eat and how long before your ride. And on-bike eating too! Thanks!
I'm vegan. Have been for 2 years now and started out as a vegetarian for 3 years. It didn't happen over night. I started of my journey mainly for sport and leading into a deeper and more compassionate meanings in terms of animals and sustainability. In terms of nutrition, it's improved my cycling and overall fitness and lifestyle tremendously. Mornings I eat smoothies which consist of Organic bananas, 4 dates and half a grapefruit. This changes depending on how I feel. Sometimes I add raw oats to the blend as well during the colder months. I do this after my morning ride or for breakfast in general. I usually make 58 oz and split one for breakfast and one to go. The rest I drink at work. For lunch I eat salad or carbohydrates like rice or just more fruit. The fruit really changes the game especially if you have access to it fresh.

Dinner I eat dense greens and carbs. Lots of kale, broccoli with roasted potatoes, rice and lentils. But for a pre-ride I typically eat one date and pack two for the road in foil and stuff it in my jersey. If I go for longer rides more than 3 hours I pack an organic rice cake. I also add raw organic dememara sugar to my water bottles and i'm wired.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikeToCamp, thank you for the details. Same type progression with me, saw Forks Over Knives, Hungry for Change, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, etc on NFLX only it was originally motivated purely by health as I was nearing 40 - not a bad midlife crisis :)

Anyway, I eat much of the same but haven't added oats to smoothies until tomorrow! I agree, the way I feel, exercise and even look has been completely surprising, plus reduced cancer and heart disease risk by eliminating casein ain't bad either. Seeing it made me try it, feeling it made it stick.

Anyway, thank you again!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not vegan, but I am veg and I do try to eat vegan whenever I can.

FWIW I usually eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it before a ride, good dose of carbs and protein and a bit of fiber. On the ride I usually go with Fig Newmans. (Note they do make a dairy-free version that is vegan.)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Have you seen the book Rocket Fuel? Lots of great ideas for pre/during/post ride eats. Many have veg/vegan options and not hard to modify a recipe once you have the basic gist of it figured out.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I'm not vegan, but I am veg and I do try to eat vegan whenever I can.

FWIW I usually eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it before a ride, good dose of carbs and protein and a bit of fiber. On the ride I usually go with Fig Newmans. (Note they do make a dairy-free version that is vegan.)
Putting fat and oil into your bloodstream right before exercising is not a very good idea.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Putting fat and oil into your bloodstream right before exercising is not a very good idea.
He's eating (and digesting) the food, not main-line injecting it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
rplace13 I will check that out, thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I ate the date things before ride today, apricot sammies during the ride and, turmeric/Ginger tonic post ride. All from Rocket Fuel. Really enjoying making some cycling food over buying gels/bars. Fun and tasty. The millet breakfast with almond milk and fruit is a good one too.

Hope you find it has helpful as I have. bon appetite!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Nabisco graham crackers (regular) happen to be vegan- sometimes I have those before riding in the morning, dipped in water or coffee, as a snack.

Last night, I prepared a batch of falafel for cooking tonight (it has to be refrigerated for a couple of hours before frying.) Dried/soaked chickpeas processed with herbs, garlic and a bit of flour. Haven't made it before w/o tahini or oil, so we'll see how it comes out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Before rides? much the same as most omnivores, vegetarians.
Cereal (rolled oats, wheatbix, muesli) pancakes, toast, fruit/nut loaf, chocolate cake,
fruit (bananas, dates etc) pasta, a sandwich, steamed, grilled or fried vegies.
It's not that complicated, your body doesn't care what food the macronutrients come from so long as you allow adequate time for the meal to digest well enough to ride at the pace you intend to ride.
Lager or lower GI meals will take slightly longer to digest and times for digestion will differ slightly just the same as it would for omnivores & vegetarians based on many things.
Age, height, weight, sex, food tolerances, health, fatigue, fitness just to name a few can influence preferred meal choice and size.

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
While I've fallen off the vegan wagon, I do still eat mostly a plant-based diet and breakfast is always plant-based for me. Before a ride I typically have a smoothie that consists of almond milk, chia seeds, vegan protein powder, 2 bananas and some berries. I'll also have some toast with peanut butter & jelly or maybe non-sweetened healthy cereal with more almond milk. (We make our own almond milk using our Vitamix, by the way...no sugar or preservatives added, and it's very easy to make.) That breakfast will get me through a long ride just fine but I usually have a snack mid-ride anyway....maybe a Clif bar or homemade energy bars if I have any on hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really appreciate all the replies to this - thank you! My Vitamix has been worth every cent and it is an excellent go-to. Have also found dried dates a great mid-ride booster, fyi.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
if the ride is under 3 hrs, then I eat 1 bananas for every 1 hr available pre-ride. That's it. Then bring a gel and a granola bar along the ride just in case. Here, I'm talking about a training ride where you'd spend like 70-80%% of the time in zone 2-3, and 20%-30% in zone 4-5.

I only eat a bowl of cereal/oatmeal (which is huge meal for me) if i'm expecting to do an "all-day" sort of ride at lower intensity, e.g,, a century.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts