Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Manchester, England
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the plugs with these rims ?
The well in the centre of the rim looks to be too deep and narrow to get the plugs in to me.
Also, if it works, do I need red or yellow ?

TIA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I built up a set of wheels using A23s. One rim had the older style bed (made in aus), the other had the newer style (made in the us). Red plugs worked well on the older style, but part of the spoke hole would creep out from under the plug on the newer style.

·
Manchester, England
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
The rims I have are US production and they were made in October 2012 (some head scratching 'til I realised that y'all write down dates differently to us :wink5: ).

Looks like I'll be using rim tape unless I can persuade a plug in there.
I'll post pics of the wheels when they're built.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have two sets of Velocity A23's. Both of them are new USA model rims. I'm using "red" plugs in all of them and they installed fine and very pleased with them. Once you muse them you'll never use rim tape again! I have a few extra and if you PM me I'll send them to you free if charge so you can check them out for yourself.

·
Manchester, England
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two sets of Velocity A23's. Both of them are new USA model rims. I'm using "red" plugs in all of them and they installed fine and very pleased with them. Once you muse them you'll never use rim tape again! I have a few extra and if you PM me I'll send them to you free if charge so you can check them out for yourself.
That's a very kind offer, thanks !
Just be aware that I'm in the UK and it might be cheaper all round if I source a couple of plugs locally (unless you're over here as well).
I'll PM you.

Thanks again,

Andrew

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have red veloplugs in my "Made in the USA" A23's and, like others, the fit is less than ideal. They work, but are not as flush to the rim as on other rims. I have been fine with it running CX pressures, but decided that I will probably replace it with Stan's tape if I decide to run those wheels at higher pressures on the road. YMMV, etc.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Why plugs? they cost $13 for 72, not bad, but why spend that kind of money when rim tape is close to same weight and cost less, and they won't accidentally fall when you try to fix a flat on the side of the road and can't find it to put it back in!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a set of Velocity A23 wheels with Velocity hubs with the Pro build. I had many problems with rim strips and Velox rim tape sliding around while mounting tires with resultant flats when the spoke holes were exposed. Tried Veloplugs, the red variety, and they worked great. They were a somewhat tight fit but the all went into the spoke holes nicely and they also made tire mounting quite easy. I've had the wheels about a year so I don't know if the are the old or the new rim type. I must admit that paying $15 for 50 cents of red plastic is kinda steep! But they work.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I have a set of Velocity A23 wheels with Velocity hubs with the Pro build. I had many problems with rim strips and Velox rim tape sliding around while mounting tires with resultant flats when the spoke holes were exposed. Tried Veloplugs, the red variety, and they worked great. They were a somewhat tight fit but the all went into the spoke holes nicely and they also made tire mounting quite easy. I've had the wheels about a year so I don't know if the are the old or the new rim type. I must admit that paying $15 for 50 cents of red plastic is kinda steep! But they work.
I've never heard of any one having problems with tape, what you said makes no sense.

·
9,790 Posts
Why plugs? they cost $13 for 72, not bad, but why spend that kind of money when rim tape is close to same weight and cost less, and they won't accidentally fall when you try to fix a flat on the side of the road and can't find it to put it back in!
Because some tires (tyres) are such a [email protected]#$h to install that tape makes it just a little too tight. The plugs give the tire a mm or two of extra space.

I do find it amusing that Velocity says VELOCITY Velo Plugs won't work on some VELOCITY rims.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Because some tires (tyres) are such a [email protected]#$h to install that tape makes it just a little too tight. The plugs give the tire a mm or two of extra space.

I do find it amusing that Velocity says VELOCITY Velo Plugs won't work on some VELOCITY rims.
Right, but that's why they make 10mm wide tape so it just cover the holes, if your using the right width tape you should have any problems. I've heard on forums from others, and had a friend that removed a tire on the road after a flat and a plug came out and got lost; after my friend told me this story I told him to carry a couple spare plugs. My friend switched over to plugs from tape and he can't tell the difference in tire installation, he never could give me a good reason for the switch!

·
9,790 Posts
Right, but that's why they make 10mm wide tape so it just cover the holes, if your using the right width tape you should have any problems. I've heard on forums from others, and had a friend that removed a tire on the road after a flat and a plug came out and got lost; after my friend told me this story I told him to carry a couple spare plugs. My friend switched over to plugs from tape and he can't tell the difference in tire installation, he never could give me a good reason for the switch!
The problem with using 10mm tape is that it *barely* covers the holes. I've seen a whole lot of 10mm tape bunched up on one side with spoke holes exposed. Tight tires push it to one side as they're being installed. It also just seems to migrate on its own after a while.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
The problem with using 10mm tape is that it *barely* covers the holes. I've seen a whole lot of 10mm tape bunched up on one side with spoke holes exposed. Tight tires push it to one side as they're being installed. It also just seems to migrate on its own after a while.
I'm not denying your experience, but my experience is different from yours, I haven't ever seen that happen in 40 years of riding either with my own wheels or others I've seen. The fact I've never seen it caught me surprise when you mentioned it!! I have seen 10mm rubber and plastic strips do that and shift around, not sure why some rim manufactures back in the 80's even used those strips.

By the way, there was at least two guys on a forum that had problems with the plugs that made it MORE difficult to install his tire, not less; see: Anyone had this problem with rim plugs?... [Archive] - Bike Forums

I hate to sound weird, but you all should be use to that! Anywho, I can't help to think that the only reason tape would move is by improper preparation and application, then perhaps as the tape got to be several years old maybe, but I've never seen that even then, right on up to replacement time, which the tape lasts so long it may take 10 years for the tape to get to the point of replacement. I've used different brands of tape over the years and never had any issue with any brand so I can't see that as being a brand specific problem like I do with glueless patches. (I only use Park and Specialized glueless patches and those have never failed in 20 years of use while others have).

But I would advise that if you're going to use the plugs to carry a couple with you just in case while attempting to fix a flat that you accidentally don't lose one or two if they should fall out. My understanding is too that those plugs should only be used with deep aero rims where the nips are well countersunked.

Another thing, I use to know a guy that all he did was to go the el cheapo route, he used 3M filament packing tape! It must of worked because he used it for all the years I knew him, and he got that idea from another rider who did it. I also heard some used electrical tape but I wouldn't advise it, it doesn't stick as well, leaves a goo behind, and will stretch when the tube gets pressurized. I carry a bit of duct tape with me when I ride, in a pinch I could cut off a small strip and use it to cover a hole or two or more if I ever did have a strip issue. The only time I ever had a strip issue is when I waited too many years before replacing it, I had a flat on the road once after a 12 year old strip failed in one section...duct tape to the rescue. A lot of LBS mechanics recommend changing the tape with every new tire, that's just plain nuts and a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.