Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if someone can help me
I snagged a set of silver Veloce circa 2007 shifters on ebay.But when I got them something doesnt see right. For one the thumbe shifter only has the capability to move one click ie the housing stops the lever from moving.
When I throw the finger shifter all the way then move the thumb shifter all the way downthe pawl seems to move too far down and I have trouble engaging the finger shifter.
I have a sneeky feeling that these shifters have been already stripped and reassembled (perhaps wrongly) as there seems to be fresh white grease visible
Also the thumb shifter tends to drop a load of clicks in one go,intermittently.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
If they are 2007 then that was the year Veloce and Centaur were cheapened to an "escape" mech which gives one upshift per press of the button.

You don't say if you have these installed or not. Makes a difference.

I suspect a lot of people buy these not realizing the mech changed in 2007. I sold a set of 2007 Centaur shifters a while ago and the buyer accused me of the same thing. They hadn't been touched.

IMO the 2007-8 Veloce and Centaur shifters are to be avoided. You are much better off buying the current design. Sorry.

ps. the eBay sellers of these are asking ridiculous prices I see. hope you didn't get taken.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Julio,
Thanks for the reply. As informative as ever.
No I hadn't cabled up yet. Just ran a cable through and pulled by hand.
I suppose with proper tension thru the mech will hopefully make a difference.
Needless to say I too am after getting caught out by the early dumbing down/powershift.
As this is going on my sons first road bike it may be a blessing in disguise that he will only have to worry about multiple shift on one lever.
Was on the verge of buying new power shift levers when these came up. Worked in the price of cables and set my max price.
Would they be worth sourcing parts for a rebuild if the upshift is slipping.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
So these are used?

If they don't work after the install, I'd dump them and write it off to experience. There is no economical repair. Only replacement of the whole body for $71 (at Bikeman).

This is considering that brand new Veloce shifters, with complete cable set are $105 at Ribble. Improved shifting internals and better ergonomics.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah used. Bought off eBay. If they are not working fully then I will open a PayPal dispute and send them back and buy a new set from lbs (same price as ribble and no waiting).
Have already let the seller know that I suspect something is up.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
there is a time limit within which you must file a dispute. used to be 60 days I think. can you post the original ad?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.