Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently getting ready to purchase a new cannondale caad 8 bike. The R700 comes with 105/ultegra 9 speed, house brakes, truvativ crank. The R800 comes with full 105 ten speed parts, even brakes and crank. The R900 comes with campy veloce 10 speed components, and a truvativ crank. I have talked to some riders and they tell me that the r700 would not be a good choice because the shifting components arent the same style (105/ultegra). Will the bike shift better if components match? My second question for an extra 300 I could upgrade to the full 105 10 speed components on the R800 or R900 with veloce components 10 speed, and truvativ crank. Are the campy components better with a truvativ rouleur crank, or all 105 components? The R900 comes with mavic ksyrium aksium wheels vs the shimano R550 wheels on the 800, which wheels are better?

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Well, i'm a campy guy, so I would probably go with Veloce. I would definitley stay away from the 9 speed bike, as 10 speed is here and is the future. With Campy 10, you have the option of mixing components from 4 lines of components (and 5 next year):
Record, Chorus, Centaur, Veloce, Mirage (2007).

With Shimano, you have DuraAce, Ultegra, 105. Plus the Shimano 10 speed cranks are ugly, and the Campy has better *bling* factor :D

I will mention that the mix of 105/Ultegra 9 isn't a problem, and in theory would shift better than an all 105 9 speed system.

In all honesty though, either 10 speed system would work great, so try both out and see which you like the feel of more.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
I'll second Einstruzende and add that it's almost never a good idea to imagine you'll find it affordable to swap just a crank or something when you get a bike. You'll pay a premium to just get the one piece (a full setup, already on the bike, is always way cheaper), and you'll wind up with a crank lying around you don't need.

There's no reason to think you'll experience poor performance from a mixed group, assuming it's set up correctly.

I like Veloce a lot. My wife has had great results with a mixed Tiagra/105/Truvative group. The only place I've been let down by mixed components is brakes--the pads on some off-brand brakes can be terrible, but they're also cheap to replace. That said, I'd guess that any of the bikes you're looking at will perform very well if you keep up with routine maintenance and adjustments. And if you don't keep them up, any of them will perform badly.

You should look deep within your heart, check your budget, and within your budget, buy the bike that gives you a boner.:thumbsup:

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
LBK said:
I'm a Shimano guy, but I wouldn't recommend either group. I want you to test them both and see which one feels better.

Please don't ask this type of question again since shills are what you get.
Dude. Asking people not to start Campy vs. Shimano threads is just screaming at the tide.

· Registered
156 Posts
I have the R700 with 105 and the Ultegra rear, there's no problem with mixing groups. If I had to pick a single component to upgrade, it would be the rear derailluer, it's one of the few places where I can actually tell a performance difference (excluding weight). FWIW, the Theta brakes and Truativ crank are just as good as the 105.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Your shifting will be fine. How ever told you that does not know what they are talking about.

Now I would not go 9 spd unless you must due to cost.
Now if you are going to compare 105 10spd with 10 Spd Veloce, see what fits you better and what shifting system you prefer.

I was a Shimnao guys for years. I tried campy and the hoods fit better and I like the overall look better and it's Italian!

I prefer Shimano's shifitng style overall a little better and the super smoothness, but for me campy is better.

Try both and go what fits your hands in shape and shifting style suits your taste!

Both have Pros and Cons and both are quailty products!

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I REALLY like my Theta brakes. I bought a pair to put on a Raleigh Professional frame I was building up with otherwise all Campy components. Mainly I bought them because I got them very cheap (ebay) and they looked great with the frame (platinum and black paint scheme w/matte black Theta brakes). I was pleasantly surprised at how they have performed. Setup was easy, good pads, good stopping power. Overall a screaming deal on a very good performing set of brakes.

· Could be faster
282 Posts
as for the wheelset, i have don't have any experience with the shimano R550 but as for the mavic aksium goes, i have done close to 500km and it still doesn't spin as freely as the campy proton. the aksium is a wheelset that you'll eventually want to replace/upgrade.

boon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.