Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a set of wheels for my cross bike (disc front, canti rear) with 32h Velocity A23 rims on XTR hubs. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh the rims first. I just rode a century on that bike with some cheap 28mm slicks, and am currently putting tubeless cross tires on them with Stans Plus 4 strips. Wheelbuilder.com says 428g, has anyone else weighed these rims?

I'm building a rear wheel with a 32h PowerTap SL+ hub, which I plan to use almost all the time on both my road and cross bikes, and will use another A23, there. For the matching front road wheel (probably with a CK R45 hub), I'd like to use a 24h A23, has anyone found these available?

Another front rim option is the HED C2, which is significantly more expensive. According to WheelBuilder.com, it's also about 50g heavier (anyone else verify?), but I could probably go with 20h on that one. I guess I'd have to decide if the potential aero advantage of that rim and fewer spokes is worth the cost and weight. The A23 and C2 will match well enough, once I take the stickers off.

For the road. I'll likely run Stan's yellow tape and Hutchinson Tubeless tires. Any other A23 vs. HED C2 thoughts?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have an A23 24 hole front rim, but no idea where the builder got it. The weight sounds right, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know someone can get them, anyway. I've ordered the parts to build my PowerTap rear wheel, and I don't need to do the matching front right away.

Of the two 32h A23 rims I've already built, one was good, and the other had a narrow spot in the brake track, near the rim joint. I'll check for this on any other Velocity rims I get, before I build them up.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just weighed one 32h A23 rim on a professional scale: 434.5g.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The A23s are around 435g that I've seen, but Velocity is notorious for having weights that are all over the place.

The C-4 V22 is another option... has a profile and weight very similar to the Hed, but is cheaper and comes in lots of holecounts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
rruff said:
The A23s are around 435g that I've seen, but Velocity is notorious for having weights that are all over the place.

The C-4 V22 is another option... has a profile and weight very similar to the Hed, but is cheaper and comes in lots of holecounts.
Thanks for that, I've been looking at the HED rims for a new wheelset and the C-4's hadn't shown up in my search, looks like a great option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ron is correct. Here is Velocity's response to a question re: A23 weight based on an article on their blog re: the A23

Barry said...

Hi,

Here you give the A23 weight as about 440g; on the website link above it says 426g. Can you give a weight weenie a "precise" weight?

June 4, 2010 2:21 PM
a.lo said...

Barry-

The weight listed on the main site is correct. I weighed this rim right before taking the picture. Along with most other rim manufacturers, we have a +/- 10% weight variance on our rims in relation to our listed weight. This particular rim comes in well below that at around +3%.

Also I just weighed an equivalent A23 32 hole with a MSW and it comes in 8 grams lighter at 432 grams. I'm sure if I weighed more we would encounter a few that were less than the listed 426 grams.

Ron just built a set of wheels for me using A23 (20 and 24 holes) rims that I requested and they came in at 24 grams heavier than I estimated based on the published weights of the rims, spokes and hubs. Since the hubs weights were verified as accurate on weightweenies.com, and I assume the spokes weren't heavier than published weight (perhaps not a reasonable assumption), I attribute the increase to the rims.

Anyway, the wheels are great - Ron is a great wheelbuilder. The A23 ride much smoother - you can tire psi given the A23 wide profile - and corner better than my Bontrager x-lites and spin up quicker. I wouldn't let the weight variations put you off the A23.

·
Registered
175 Posts
bstendig said:
Ron just built a set of wheels for me using A23 (20 and 24 holes) rims that I requested and they came in at 24 grams heavier than I estimated based on the published weights of the rims, spokes and hubs.
24 grams is probably the weight of your rim strip, assuming you had it installed prior to weighing the wheel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The wheels were built w/ veloplugs weighing 8g. The wheels were 24g over published weights not including the veloplugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts