Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a set of wheels for my cross bike (disc front, canti rear) with 32h Velocity A23 rims on XTR hubs. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh the rims first. I just rode a century on that bike with some cheap 28mm slicks, and am currently putting tubeless cross tires on them with Stans Plus 4 strips. Wheelbuilder.com says 428g, has anyone else weighed these rims?

I'm building a rear wheel with a 32h PowerTap SL+ hub, which I plan to use almost all the time on both my road and cross bikes, and will use another A23, there. For the matching front road wheel (probably with a CK R45 hub), I'd like to use a 24h A23, has anyone found these available?

Another front rim option is the HED C2, which is significantly more expensive. According to WheelBuilder.com, it's also about 50g heavier (anyone else verify?), but I could probably go with 20h on that one. I guess I'd have to decide if the potential aero advantage of that rim and fewer spokes is worth the cost and weight. The A23 and C2 will match well enough, once I take the stickers off.

For the road. I'll likely run Stan's yellow tape and Hutchinson Tubeless tires. Any other A23 vs. HED C2 thoughts?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know someone can get them, anyway. I've ordered the parts to build my PowerTap rear wheel, and I don't need to do the matching front right away.

Of the two 32h A23 rims I've already built, one was good, and the other had a narrow spot in the brake track, near the rim joint. I'll check for this on any other Velocity rims I get, before I build them up.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just weighed one 32h A23 rim on a professional scale: 434.5g.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.