Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I built a set of wheels this year using Quill rims and like them. As MDM mentioned, they are wide relative to (older) road rims. They built up nice and true, with no drama. I was concerned that I would feel the non welded seam when braking but that hasn't been the case.

One thing to be aware of is that Velocity changed the Quill a couple of times since it was released; the original version was lighter but not particularly durable. Rims built in the last two years will be the latest version. There is a date code sticker by the valve stem hole which can be used to verify build date.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Other rims I am considering are Pacenti Forza Classico and H Plus TB14.
I think the Quill is wider than I really want and quite expensive.
If I was using all vintage parts I would go with the TB14 which is more traditional looking.
But the parts will be modern so I think the Pacenti Forza will would be the best fit and it is still silver.
I also like that the rear rim is OC.
The only concern is that I had Pacenti SL23 rims before which developed cracks on the rear rim.
Hopefully this problem was fixed with the Forza.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Other rims I am considering are Pacenti Forza Classico and H Plus TB14.
I think the Quill is wider than I really want and quite expensive.
If I was using all vintage parts I would go with the TB14 which is more traditional looking.
But the parts will be modern so I think the Pacenti Forza will would be the best fit and it is still silver.
I also like that the rear rim is OC.
The only concern is that I had Pacenti SL23 rims before which developed cracks on the rear rim.
Hopefully this problem was fixed with the Forza.
I would still stay away from Pacenti. Not too long ago, they were playing the blame game claiming that building with Sapim X-ray spokes was causing the spoke hole cracks - WTF!

If you're looking for a silver rim that isn't as retro as the H+ Son TB14, check out the silver version of the H+ Son Archetype.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just read a long thread from 2019 on Pacenti issues and I think it has convinced me to not use them.
The Archetype was actually the first rim I considered, but because of its depth and polished finish I felt that there was just too much bright silver overpowering the bike,
Here is a picture I found, this De Rosa is close to the same color as my Mercian so it gives a good idea of what it would look like.
These wheels are 36 spoke, I would probably 20H front and 28H rear.

Another rim I was looking is the Velocity A23. I think it has more of the look I am shooting for:

I used to build wheels with Velocity rims and never thought the quality of their rims was that great but I could get over that.
It also comes in a OC for the rear which is great. I did read some complaints about brake track being narrow and some cracking.
I think pretty much any rim will crack if it is over tensioned and the OC rim would help with that. Also I don't weigh a lot at 140 lbs.
Another rim that I would like is HED Belgium, but it expensive and does not come in silver.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I've built wheels for my wife using both the A23 and the H Son Archetype and the Archetype appears to be a better rim and easier to build, at least to me, though I know there are some here who favor the A23. If you can get past the color, that would be my choice. Even their Black rims are very subdued as far as graphics are concerned.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You might consider the DT R460. I built up a pair of wheels and am pretty happy with them; using them on a gravel bike. Much cheaper than the Quills and I think they are similar in quality. They're not as wide as the Quills (18mm). I don't think they're available in silver or in an offset spoke bed though. They're not welded and don't have the bead retention humps in the rim bed. If these features are important to you, give a pass.

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
I know that people have had issues with earlier Pacenti rims, but I'm a real fan of their Brevet rims. I've a coupla sets of wheels I've built up with them and they built up easy and have been problem free for 6000 miles, probably more, on the higher mileage set. Classic polished aluminum box rims.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
You might consider the DT R460. I built up a pair of wheels and am pretty happy with them; using them on a gravel bike. Much cheaper than the Quills and I think they are similar in quality. They're not as wide as the Quills (18mm). I don't think they're available in silver or in an offset spoke bed though. They're not welded and don't have the bead retention humps in the rim bed. If these features are important to you, give a pass.
I built up a set of wheels with DT R460's and DA hubs. I have over 10K miles on them and have never needed to re-true them. Good solid wheelset. But as you say, only available in black. And if you are in the "can't be too wide" camp, they may not impress you.

·
Registered
21,664 Posts
I've built wheels for my wife using both the A23 and the H Son Archetype and the Archetype appears to be a better rim and easier to build, at least to me, though I know there are some here who favor the A23. If you can get past the color, that would be my choice. Even their Black rims are very subdued as far as graphics are concerned.
My current wheels are approaching 70,000 miles (well over 100,000 km) using A23 (black) on Campy Record hubs. OC rim for the rear wheel. 32 spoke front and rear. My riding weight is 175 lb (80 kg). Zero issues, though the labels have faded from all that time in the sun. My experience with Velocity Aerohead OC rims had spoke hole cracks develop at 10K miles on the first rim, 35K miles on the second rim, and 55K miles on the third. The word on the street was that the early production rims were too light but that as the extrusion dies wore, the rim wall thickness increased and durability likewise. That certainly was my experience. The second and third rims were heavier than the first.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also used Aerohead rims quite a lot because they where light.
I don't remember having any problems with them cracking but I weight 140 lbs.
My impression is that Velocity had some quality issues when they moved their production from Australia to the U.S. but it seems that has been resolved.
My plan right now is to go with A23 probably 24F / 28R which is more than my usual 20F / 24R.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
I also used Aerohead rims quite a lot because they where light.
I don't remember having any problems with them cracking but I weight 140 lbs.
My impression is that Velocity had some quality issues when they moved their production from Australia to the U.S. but it seems that has been resolved.
My plan right now is to go with A23 probably 24F / 28R which is more than my usual 20F / 24R.
24F/28R is a good count to go with. I build my rim brake wheels 24F/32R, but then I weigh in the 170's.

IIRC, @cxwrench had past issues building with Velocity rims.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
24F/28R is a good count to go with. I build my rim brake wheels 24F/32R, but then I weigh in the 170's.

IIRC, @cxwrench had past issues building with Velocity rims.
I read about the issues he had and they were quite a long time ago.
I have also read about many people who have had no issues.
I don't have a good enough reason to not use them.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I know this is a wheels post, but that De Rosa frame is a thing of beauty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My current wheels are approaching 70,000 miles (well over 100,000 km) using A23 (black) on Campy Record hubs. OC rim for the rear wheel. 32 spoke front and rear. My riding weight is 175 lb (80 kg). Zero issues, though the labels have faded from all that time in the sun. My experience with Velocity Aerohead OC rims had spoke hole cracks develop at 10K miles on the first rim, 35K miles on the second rim, and 55K miles on the third. The word on the street was that the early production rims were too light but that as the extrusion dies wore, the rim wall thickness increased and durability likewise. That certainly was my experience. The second and third rims were heavier than the first.
Kerry: I'm sure my wife would still be on her set of A23/Ultegra Wheels if her Mechanic, ME, had not used a steel lockring on the cassette and neglected to maintain it properly with some grease, etc. every so often. When I tried to remove the cassette, I tried everything I could and no luck. Oh Well, I learned a lesson and she got a set of Archetype / Ultegra Wheels which she also enjoys very much.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I had one like that around 1985 but it was red.
Sold it to buy my first Trek 5200.
If I knew what I know now, I would have kept it.
But at least I have the Mercian.
This color scheme and paint is absolutely gorgeous. I love that frame!!! I think it would look great in red as well and it’ll be faster to boot! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
This color scheme and paint is absolutely gorgeous. I love that frame!!! I think it would look great in red as well and it’ll be faster to boot! Haha
Red bikes are always faster. ;)

Reactions: cdhbrad
1 - 20 of 25 Posts