Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,692 Posts
I've built wheels for my wife using both the A23 and the H Son Archetype and the Archetype appears to be a better rim and easier to build, at least to me, though I know there are some here who favor the A23. If you can get past the color, that would be my choice. Even their Black rims are very subdued as far as graphics are concerned.
My current wheels are approaching 70,000 miles (well over 100,000 km) using A23 (black) on Campy Record hubs. OC rim for the rear wheel. 32 spoke front and rear. My riding weight is 175 lb (80 kg). Zero issues, though the labels have faded from all that time in the sun. My experience with Velocity Aerohead OC rims had spoke hole cracks develop at 10K miles on the first rim, 35K miles on the second rim, and 55K miles on the third. The word on the street was that the early production rims were too light but that as the extrusion dies wore, the rim wall thickness increased and durability likewise. That certainly was my experience. The second and third rims were heavier than the first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,692 Posts
Kerry: I'm sure my wife would still be on her set of A23/Ultegra Wheels if her Mechanic, ME, had not used a steel lockring on the cassette and neglected to maintain it properly with some grease, etc. every so often. When I tried to remove the cassette, I tried everything I could and no luck. Oh Well, I learned a lesson and she got a set of Archetype / Ultegra Wheels which she also enjoys very much.
The standard technique for a difficult lock ring removal is to put the lock ring tool in a big bench vise, slide the wheel on, and use the leverage of the entire wheel to apply force. There is no downside because if you can't get it off the wheel is trash anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,692 Posts
Kerry: Did that and more.....a 6' long pipe on the end of a 12" Crescent wrench with my Son, much younger and stronger than me, putting all his weight on the wrench while I steadied the wheel and it still didn't budge. Learned my lesson about not paying attention to maintenance on the Wife's bike. Oh well, at least the front wheel is still there as a spare.
Now we're talking! How about a metal saw across the face of the lock ring cutting twice (in an X pattern) and then a steel chisel to break out the pieces. Just to prove you can do it :)
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top