Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
Kerry: I'm sure my wife would still be on her set of A23/Ultegra Wheels if her Mechanic, ME, had not used a steel lockring on the cassette and neglected to maintain it properly with some grease, etc. every so often. When I tried to remove the cassette, I tried everything I could and no luck. Oh Well, I learned a lesson and she got a set of Archetype / Ultegra Wheels which she also enjoys very much.
The standard technique for a difficult lock ring removal is to put the lock ring tool in a big bench vise, slide the wheel on, and use the leverage of the entire wheel to apply force. There is no downside because if you can't get it off the wheel is trash anyway.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The standard technique for a difficult lock ring removal is to put the lock ring tool in a big bench vise, slide the wheel on, and use the leverage of the entire wheel to apply force. There is no downside because if you can't get it off the wheel is trash anyway.
Kerry: Did that and more.....a 6' long pipe on the end of a 12" Crescent wrench with my Son, much younger and stronger than me, putting all his weight on the wrench while I steadied the wheel and it still didn't budge. Learned my lesson about not paying attention to maintenance on the Wife's bike. Oh well, at least the front wheel is still there as a spare.

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
Kerry: Did that and more.....a 6' long pipe on the end of a 12" Crescent wrench with my Son, much younger and stronger than me, putting all his weight on the wrench while I steadied the wheel and it still didn't budge. Learned my lesson about not paying attention to maintenance on the Wife's bike. Oh well, at least the front wheel is still there as a spare.
Now we're talking! How about a metal saw across the face of the lock ring cutting twice (in an X pattern) and then a steel chisel to break out the pieces. Just to prove you can do it :)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Now we're talking! How about a metal saw across the face of the lock ring cutting twice (in an X pattern) and then a steel chisel to break out the pieces. Just to prove you can do it :)
Thanks for the Tip...........let's hope there isn't a "Next Time" when I can try it. If I hadn't pitched that stuff long ago, I'd give your idea a try.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts