Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
awwww horseapples!!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on the board have experience with the Canadian painters "Velocolour?"

I've been trying in vain to get my paramount repainted. You'd be shocked by the run around I've gotten from all the well know painters around the US and I'm running out of options.

The issue for me is not really price, but customer service. None of the major paintshops quoted outrageous prices (except for waterford) but getting any info out of them was just a complete hassle.

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Don't know anything about customer service. Just in case you don't know, they did just win best paint job at NAHBS.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
awesometown said:
Does anyone on the board have experience with the Canadian painters "Velocolour?"

I've been trying in vain to get my paramount repainted. You'd be shocked by the run around I've gotten from all the well know painters around the US and I'm running out of options.

The issue for me is not really price, but customer service. None of the major paintshops quoted outrageous prices (except for waterford) but getting any info out of them was just a complete hassle.

Any feedback is appreciated!
noah has been very responsive to emails i've sent him. i'm about to send a frame and fork for a respray as soon as i can get myself to the P.O.

i had a frame done by D&D cycles last year and it was really hard to connect with those guys.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just got back a frame from them. Absolutely superb quality, and awesome customer service. Get in line now, after winning the award in Indy he's going to be in much greater demand.

Noah is super-responsive to emails or calls. I always got responses to my emails back within the day.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had my Paramount repainted by Waterford. They replaced the original decals and made some slight repairs. Have you contacted then?

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Give JT at Spectrum Powder Works a ring. They repainted a buddy's Gunnar and is the primary painter for Ellis, ZR, Strong and many others. I plan on having them repaint my Serotta this year. ~$350 for a single color with basic decals.

·
awwww horseapples!!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dombey19 said:
I had my Paramount repainted by Waterford. They replaced the original decals and made some slight repairs. Have you contacted then?
I did contact them.... And that was where the whole problem started. Richard gave me the total run around and in the end quoted a price so high that as he said "its so expensive, we refuse to take on projects like that since the customer demands too much for their money."

As much as I wanted it back at its ancestral home to be lovingly restored, he was/is such a C%#KFACE that I'd rather not give him my money.

I tried getting in touch with Joe Bell, who while friendly on the phone, runs the operation all by his lonesome so that can make the process difficult.

When I talked to Hot Tubes about it...they were nice but in one conversation he went from "3 months" to "the shop is closed for renovation."

Price, and project length are not issues as this is a labor of love.... But if I'm giving you my money I would appreciate not being snarled at on the phone.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
LOL! I remember looking around for repainting prices and being simply amazed at how much Waterford wanted.

Velocolour had some gorgeous stuff at NAHBS. If they're affordable and friendly I'd say go for it.

·
awwww horseapples!!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
LOL! I remember looking around for repainting prices and being simply amazed at how much Waterford wanted.

Velocolour had some gorgeous stuff at NAHBS. If they're affordable and friendly I'd say go for it.
It wasn't just price, it was that he's a Jerk!

·
Registered
289 Posts
A couple of people I know got stunning results from Toxic Harald located in Vancouver, BC. If this is really a labour of love I would suggest that he is your man. He did one of my wife's bikes, and from her accounts he's quite obsessed with paint.

He's not cheap, but if you decide to go that route, let me know as he gave us some 5% off coupons and I could mail you one.

Regards,
Anthony

·
Registered
867 Posts
I saw Noah's stuff at the bike show and it was good but my choice for paint at the show was Keith Anderson at http://www.keithandersoncycles.com/Keith_Anderson_Cycles.html. He paints other builders work, check out his website. My favorite bike at the show was Courage cycles and he paints for him.

Another painter I liked was CycleArt, they restored a Motobecane at the Toronto Bicycle Show last year which was one of the best paint jobs I have ever seen and they specialize in restoration projects.

Who ever you decide take some before and after shots and the post them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts