Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a set of Veloflex Corsa 25's to put on my new 25mm wide carbon clinchers. I was reading the box and it states "do not use on carbon fiber rims". WTF, why would you not be able to use these on carbon fiber rims? :mad2:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
It's a CYA in the event you heat up the rim, blow the tire, and wreck. At that point they won't be liable as you didn't follow directions.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering if it might be that the Corsa's are rated at 145psi (not that anyone in their right mind would inflate that high), and carbon rims are not rated to handle that high of a psi.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
I have a set of these same Veloflex Corsa 25 clincher tires, and I don't see this warning anywhere on either box. Where should I be looking? In any case, I've been using Veloflex Corsa 23 for about 1500 miles on generic Chinese carbon clincher wheels without any issues.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a set of these same Veloflex Corsa 25 clincher tires, and I don't see this warning anywhere on either box. Where should I be looking? In any case, I've been using Veloflex Corsa 23 for about 1500 miles on generic Chinese carbon clincher wheels without any issues.
It's on the side under "operating instructions". First paragraph says "Use only E.T.R.T.O 622x13/15c rims and make sure the tyre bead location is free from any sharp edges. The second paragraph reads "Do not use carbon fibre rims.

Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues. Kind of threw me for a loop when I read that. That's why the only thing I can figure out is they're afraid people are going to inflate them to max. pressure and damage the rim.

I've emailed Veloflex but haven't heard back as of yet. Unless I hear a valid reason for not installing them, they're going on.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
doesn't say that on either box I have....

my second bullet says "make sure that the rim band and the inner tube are compatible with the select tyre"

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I got mine from worldclasscycles on 4/22
Got mine from Bike Tires Direct last week. Aren't the 25's new for Corsa's? Otherwise I would have thought that one of us got an earlier model.

World Class Cycles is who I emailed to try to find out why they have this warning. Waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got mine today from Dan Donnelley imports/Ebay and they also have the carbon wheel warning. I also noticed that there's a directionality arrow where it says "Made in Italy" which was not on my 23's. Anyone else notice this? Also, the 25's are rated for 9 bar/130 PSI while my 23's were rated at 10 bar/145 PSI.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
Yeah, just available for a few months. Those guys are just distributors, you'd probably get a better answer emailing Italy direct.

I haven't worn down the 23s enough to replace them, although i did rotate front to back. Hopefully i can get another 500 miles, then I'll try the 25s.

The box also says not to use any tool for mounting. Good luck with that....

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got mine today from Dan Donnelley imports/Ebay and they also have the carbon wheel warning. I also noticed that there's a directionality arrow where it says "Made in Italy" which was not on my 23's. Anyone else notice this? Also, the 25's are rated for 9 bar/130 PSI while my 23's were rated at 10 bar/145 PSI.
Yeah, mine have the directional arrow also. And you're right, they are rated for 9 bar, I was thinking about the 23's when I mentioned 145 psi.

Not that it matters but what's really weird also is the the Veloflex logo isn't even straight on the tires. It looks someone was drunk when they put the logo on.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, just available for a few months. Those guys are just distributors, you'd probably get a better answer emailing Italy direct.

I haven't worn down the 23s enough to replace them, although i did rotate front to back. Hopefully i can get another 500 miles, then I'll try the 25s.

The box also says not to use any tool for mounting. Good luck with that....
When I hit the contact us button it took me to World Class Cycles site, that's why I went ahead and emailed them.

Yeah, I was laughing too when I read the part about installing without tools. I read how hard these are to mount.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
World Class Cycles owns the Veloflextires.com website but the official website in Italy is Veloflex.it.
Cool, thanks, maybe I'll give them a try.

By the way, how do the stamped Veloflex logos look on the side of your tires? Mine are crooked as hell.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
logos on the my 23s are a little "off" as in not exactly following the curve of the tire:

Looks pretty how how mine are. Mine aren't mounted yet, still waiting for my wheels.

I did receive an email back from veloflex.it. Here is what they say about the no carbon fiber rim warning: "Some models of carbon fiber wheels have a sharp and aggressive edge in the bead seat area, this could lead to the casing cutting of our clinchers.

Not being able to check every wheel on the market, we wrote this warning on our boxes, the responsibility of the use of our clinchers on those rims is on the behalf of the final user".

Basically a CYA clause.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.