Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 282936
Got a pair of Veloflex Master 25mm clinchers. I wanted to try something different and "better" that GP4000's ride wise.

Id like to know if curing this would get me better milage, puncture resistance. Right now i have the urge to just put them on and to hell with curing them.

I have a fresh pair of GP4000S on hand for the curing time.

Also ventured to buy the 25 for added plush ride and they seem to be very light. cant wait to feel what 320 tpi is.

·
Registered
309 Posts
not sure to believe the cure time claims and I've been using veloflex for years.

look at it this way. why wait to cure what you may not even like. if you like them then you can order and cure the next set.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
View attachment 282936 Id like to know if curing this would get me better milage, puncture resistance.
IF (and I say IF) the tire is fresh from the mold then curing will give you better wear (not likely puncture resistance). If on the other hand the tires have been "in the pipeline" for several months then the curing time is not necessary. There's not much way you can tell how old the tires are though newer ones tend to have a stronger odor. But then you'd have to have an old "cured" one to compare smells.

If the tires really need to be cured before being ridden then they shouldn't be sold until they're properly cured.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
I will be very interested in your ride results. I've been very happy with the Conti 4000 in 25 and am very hesitant to change however, it might be nice to try something else since I've been on the Conti's for the past three years. My recomendation is to mount them and go riding. Given the temperature and pressure the rubber goes through during industrialized curing, any more time at room temperature will be moot (insignificant). I wish you had been on 25's already so the comparison will be closer. When I went from 23's to 25's, the difference was very noticeable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be very interested in your ride results. I've been very happy with the Conti 4000 in 25 and am very hesitant to change however, it might be nice to try something else since I've been on the Conti's for the past three years. My recomendation is to mount them and go riding. Given the temperature and pressure the rubber goes through during industrialized curing, any more time at room temperature will be moot (insignificant). I wish you had been on 25's already so the comparison will be closer. When I went from 23's to 25's, the difference was very noticeable.
Most of my riding pals use 25's and swear by them. I resisted this change, as GP4000s 23mm are actually 25mm (Bernier caliper doesn't lie). The velos have GREAT reviews and well...are gum walls, and im a sucker for present day tech mixed with classic looks.

I will be posting photos, and next week some riding impression in comparison to GP4000s.

Cheers,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is the Tyre

This is not a noob tyre, not thats impossible by any means. I wonder how long it will take to change a flat roadside.

Here is my old 23mm gp4000s and the new 25mm veloflex master.

as i knew, the GP4000's 23's are actually 25mm. So GP4000s 25mm users are actually using more MM. Veloflexes are 25mm.

Heres the bike with the new tyres

Lets see how they roll. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you actually measure the Veloflex's to be 25mm? I was disappointed when they supposedly went to the 23mm width, when all they really did was stamp "23" on their 22mm tires.
I have to confess, im basing my opinion on a measure of my old gp4000s that gave me 25mm on the thickest part (side wall at 120psi) the velo 25 looked exactly the same as the gp4000s 23mm.

Now im in doubt about this measure so i will take out my caliper out, after work i will remeasure.

Im still happy about the velo being 23mm. Would be frustrated at a 21 or 22.

Also, whats your opinion on liners? I was debating with myself about putting a kevlar strip as an extra punture resistance measure. This debate led me to question:

Did Veloflex change anything on the newer tyres vs the previous?

Why would i buy this tires and then be scared of punctures?

Does a kevlar strip change ride quality, is it even notisable? Why are this kevlar strips so fricking expensive!!? $25 bucks a pop at te lbs. id rather carry 2 tubes and 3co2's

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The Masters and Corsas already have a puncture protection layer built in. Adding more would defeat the purpose of running that kind of tire. Like putting a hitch and trailer on a race car. If you want pure durability, look elsewhere. You want buttery smooth fast grippy goodness, you've found one of the best. I'm also interested to hear how the 25s stack up. I am currently running the 22s and have another set waiting for when they give up the ghost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Currently the Veloflex Maste 25 are mounted on Boyd Vitesse 23mm rims (wider than normal), the velos were 25.4 mm thick at 120psi.

For me 23mm are equivalent to 25mm.

Pretty awesome tires i may say. More to come.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
I just purchased a set of 25mm Corsa's and installed them on 25mm carbon clinchers. Haven't installed them on the bike yet but look forward to giving them a ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Masters and Corsas already have a puncture protection layer built in. Adding more would defeat the purpose of running that kind of tire. Like putting a hitch and trailer on a race car. If you want pure durability, look elsewhere. You want buttery smooth fast grippy goodness, you've found one of the best. I'm also interested to hear how the 25s stack up. I am currently running the 22s and have another set waiting for when they give up the ghost.
I haven't ran the 22c or 23c Veloflex but I'm running 25c Veloflex masters right now (first Veloflex tire I've tried). They are way better than GP4000s, and arguably better than my Evo Corsa CS 25c tires. I'm really impressed so far with over 1,100 miles on them. I pulled them out the box, mounted them up, and rode them. They have been great so far. I'd recommend them to anyone that wants great feeling tires with tons of grip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
First use today 65 miles. Ran this at 125psi each. The difference between this and my reference GP4000sis felt within seconds.
This tyres roll super smooth its ridiculous, the road inperfections are absorbed pretty nicely. Even being hard as rock you could feel a cushion effect. Most notisable is the low rolling resistance, i dont have the knowledge te describe my experience; it felt as if the air in the tyre was making me float. You can feel the thin tyre resonate on the rim, and going up thru the frame, while being very silent.

This tyre is very much round, which I'm guessing is why they feel like floating. Also id like to add that flying debris gets expelled, and makes a basketball kind of sound thats very particular.

tomorrow i take on a mountain!

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
First use today 65 miles. Ran this at 125psi each. The difference between this and my reference GP4000sis felt within seconds.
This tyres roll super smooth its ridiculous, the road inperfections are absorbed pretty nicely. Even being hard as rock you could feel a cushion effect. Most notisable is the low rolling resistance, i dont have the knowledge te describe my experience; it felt as if the air in the tyre was making me float. You can feel the thin tyre resonate on the rim, and going up thru the frame, while being very silent.

This tyre is very much round, which I'm guessing is why they feel like floating. Also id like to add that flying debris gets expelled, and makes a basketball kind of sound thats very particular.

tomorrow i take on a mountain!
How much do you weigh? 125 psi sounds ridiculously high unless you are quite heavy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.