Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Veloflex Pave and I'm trying to install them on some Torelli Master rims from the 90's and I can't even get the first bead in. Honestly I have no idea how this bead is going to get on, it's seems so damn tight. And yes the sizes are the same. I've tried some soapy water and a tire lever, nothing works. Went to my local LBS and they couldn't even get them on.

Anyone have any good tips?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I had a really hard time installing Michelin Speediums on my vintage '80's Weinmann rims...

I'm guessing even though the rims are 700c, they were "tighter" back in the heydays?

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
So they're long on velo and short on flex?

Putting Specialized Roubaix tires on Neuvation rims is next to impossible as well. They go quite easily onto Shimano rims.

I think the problem with some rim/tire combos is that rubber as thick as tires really doesn't stretch much so a rim just a little large or a tire just a little small can cause problems.

I'm guessing the 'deep pockets' theory of tort law plays into it. Nobody wants to get sued, so tire makers make their tires 'a little small' in case they get mounted on a small rim they won't come off, and rim makers make their rims 'a little big' so a slightly larger tire won't come off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kdub said:
took me two hours the first time I installed them on some ambrosio rims. I thought it was impossible.. but if you use a tire lever and really pry it on, it will get on. Once stretched, the second time will be much easier.
You didn't ruin the tires using a tire lever? The instructions specifically state not to use tire levers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a couple of tires that didn't want to go on also. I cut a piece of wood the exact length from the edge of the rim to the hub axle.

Place one end of the stick on the axle (take off the QR) and the other end on the tire bead where it stops going in the rim. Just hold the end of the stick on the axle and move the other end of the stick around the tire bead, the stick will push the bead in the rim.

No extra loads are put on the axle as it really doesn't take that much pressure when the stick is long and it goes in super easy.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Ruination

drainyoo said:
You didn't ruin the tires using a tire lever? The instructions specifically state not to use tire levers.
Tire levers don't ruin tires, but you are more likely to damage the tube during installation when using tire levers. If tire levers caused damage, how would you be able to use them to remove the tire?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the instructions that come with the Veloflex specifically state not use tire levers to install the tires. Not sure why.

Anyway, I was able to get a tire on after an hour of so with a Pedro lever. But I ended up puncturing the tube so I have to replace it. At least I know I can get them on now but damn what a pain.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Tire levers don't ruin tires, but you are more likely to damage the tube during installation when using tire levers. If tire levers caused damage, how would you be able to use them to remove the tire?
I'm hoping that's a joke. I've read about people who 'never use tire levers,' and I've had Vitorria tires that didn't need levers (OK, one little pry to take them off) but it's just fantasy to think you can put any tire on any rim without levers. I don't doubt that some maker specifically said not to, only that they're deluding themselves, and probably just trying to avoid warranty claims.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I never use levers. I wear a pair of cheap heavy duty gardening/utility gloves (the suede kind). They help a lot with the grip issue. Sometimes it requires pushing one thumb with the other for the last bit, but has worked well for me.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Thinner rim tape can help for sure. Or replace it with Velocity Veloplugs if they will work with the rims. Only thing will veloplugs is that some rims can cut the valve stem without the protection of rim tape. My solution was to still use the plugs, but make a little stem boot out of either old rim tape or something like a gel wrapper.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
California L33 said:
I'm hoping that's a joke. I've read about people who 'never use tire levers,' and I've had Vitorria tires that didn't need levers (OK, one little pry to take them off) but it's just fantasy to think you can put any tire on any rim without levers. I don't doubt that some maker specifically said not to, only that they're deluding themselves, and probably just trying to avoid warranty claims.
I have removed and installed hundreds of tires without using levers or any tool other than my hands. I cannot say that I have done that with every possible combination, but I certainly was not fantasizing about it. That includes installing brand new folding and wire bead tires, no tools! No drugs either!

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Its not the tires, it's your weak hands and poor tire mounting technique.
In all honesty most people don't know how to mount a tire efficiently and get frustrated in 30 seconds if it doesn't go on. Some tires can be difficult, but I haven't met a tire in the thousands of tires I've mounted since my shop rat days that I can't get on in less than 5 minutes. It might hurt sometimes, but no pain no gain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Um I took the tires to a professional shop and they couldn't even do it. It was the tire and rim combo. Tires are extra tight and the rims have a shallow midsection. All previous tires Ive installed went on by hand but these were different. Very very very tight. The only way to get them on was with levers, no hand on earth could have gotten these on.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
I'll stand by my original statement. If any of you wise guys can mount the combination I talked about (a brand new Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite [that's a folder- easy] on a Neuvation M28 aero wheel) with your bare hands pull out the old camera and post it on U-tube, then I'll make a tire lever smoothie and drink it. If you can't, I still want to see the attempt. Don't edit out the audio :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.