Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for a 200k tomorrow. It's got a lot of climbing so I put a lighter set of wheels on my R3. I noticed the rear Velomax Circuit that I took off has got a dead bearing! The first wheel bearing I've killed since I was a kid. Must have been that rainy century a couple weeks ago. I'd been having a vague feeling that my back brake was dragging lately, but every time I'd check it, it was fine. Now I know why.

How hard is it to replace the bearings in these hubs? Looking at the web site, it looks like you need a special drift and at least one bearing is held in with loctite.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unless you know what you're doing and are competent with cone wrenches, I'd say to take it to a shop. I've rebuilt a dozen wheels or so and the hardest part is getting the cones adjusted properly. Sometimes it's just easier to pay someone. Or if there's one particular LBS you frequent, do the whole project and then they may adjust the cones as a favor.

TB

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Go to Velomax's (Easton?) website, there are pdf directions on replacing the bearings. They say you need to order a replacement pack from them that includes the bearings and a couple of other parts (sorry, I forget, have not looked at the website for awhile). Anyway, the other parts are just used for pressing the new bearings back into the hubs.

I talked to one of my local bike shops about replacing the bearings in my circuits last year, and the mechanic said that he did not bother with the velomax replacement stuff - for what it is worth.

My wheels had also felt kind of slow and crunchy (my front hub), the mechanic also suggested just cleaning the axle, cause he had worked on other Velomax wheels where it was not the bearings, but the axle that was dirty and causing the trouble. Anyway, I did that and it has worked fine since then for me.

good luck

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baylorboy said:
Unless you know what you're doing and are competent with cone wrenches, I'd say to take it to a shop. I've rebuilt a dozen wheels or so and the hardest part is getting the cones adjusted properly. Sometimes it's just easier to pay someone. Or if there's one particular LBS you frequent, do the whole project and then they may adjust the cones as a favor.
TB
I'm competent with cone wrenches, having rebuilt a few normal wheels. The adustment is easy to do. But these Velomax wheels have sealed bearings. No cones.

I wound up taking the wheel to the shop where I bought the bike that they came on, and got them to replace the bad bearing as a warranty item. The bearing (one of four) was completely frozen after only three months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.