Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't speak for the Mavic's but I've had a set of Velomax Circuits for two years and they're great. Over that period, I had the rear wheel re-trued after the first 500 miles and that's it. They are relatively light, reasonably aero and quite stiff. At the price they can be had for, I think they represent a good value.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Which are better? Why are the Elites so much more on ebay. The Circuits are about 250 vs 300+ for the Mavic elite yet the Circuits are lighter. Are the mavics tougher? Do they look better? Hubs better? Will they last longer? Inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
rollinrob said:
Which are better? Why are the Elites so much more on ebay. The Circuits are about 250 vs 300+ for the Mavic elite yet the Circuits are lighter. Are the mavics tougher? Do they look better? Hubs better? Will they last longer? Inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks
circuits without a doubt

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both and much prefer the Circuits -- I am 6'4" 220# and my strength is sprinting -- I have not had to even retrue the circuits yet. I also have a pair of Orion IIs for racing, but half the time I end up using the Circuits anyway -- the Ksyrium Elites are definitely a back-up/training wheel only for me.

The one disadvantage is that when a spoke breaks on any Easton/Velomax wheel (which has not happened to me yet) it can be quite a while to get it repaired.

rollinrob said:
Thanks

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Sweet Milk said:
The one disadvantage is that when a spoke breaks on any Easton/Velomax wheel (which has not happened to me yet) it can be quite a while to get it repaired.

is that due to the availibility of parts, spokes?

·
Registered
76 Posts
bill105 said:
is that due to the availibility of parts, spokes?
Yes it is, these wheels use straight spokes (no j-bends) that are very highly tensioned. Easton is apparently adamant that only their service folks reinstall spokes on them using special purpose Easton equipment -- this to the dismay of many that feel that they can do it themselves (I like good old open pros with decent hubs for the reason that it is easy to do the work myself).

In any case: around these parts the Easton/Velomax wheels are a very common sight at races and I only know of one person that broke a spoke. That was on a pair of Ascent wheels, which are designed to be an extremely light low spoke count wheel -- I would not worry too much about this, unless you will have one pair of wheels only.

Note that the Ksyriums are boutique wheels as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Circuits for me

Mine have stayed true for 15,000+ miles. I finally ruined the back rim by hitting
a large piece of metal in the road. Easton fixed it in about 3 weeks for a reasonable price.
They seem to be strong and stiff. I would by them again, not for the $500 list price, though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have elites on my bike. I like them, have no complaints.

I don't have much experience with the Circuits, but they seemed fine to me. About 2 years ago I was test riding a bike with Circuits on them and I hit a patch of sand and wrecked. The bike shop told me the wheels needed to be retrued after that one crash. To be honest though, I think the shop was full of crap and way over reacted.

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
Sweet Milk said:
Why would that be? Even though the spokes are double-threaded and probably not in stock at your LBS, there is a good chance that a full-service shop can create one since they are derived from standard spokes. Plus there are Velomax certified shops all over the place that can true a wheel should a spoke break. Velomax (Easton) even has a PDF on the website that describes the process. It's not easy, but appears to be doable.

The K's are worse for repair IMHO -- the spokes are proprietary, and often geting one replaced takes time. A friend of mine broke a spoke on his Ksyrium SSC and it took weeks to get the spoke in from Mavic.

Thx...Doug

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
The Circuits felt a little quicker but the Elites felt more solid and stiff. I don't know why so don't ask me. I rode the Circuits for around 4K miles and the Elites for 1500 miles or so BTW. I'd say go handbuilt, you can go lighter for around the same price. Anywho, just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let me be clear -- I would give anybody a positive recommendation on Velomax/Easton Circuit wheels -- of the wheels that I have experienced this is definitely one of the best bangs for your buck, although I notice that now that Easton has taken over prices are creeping up... In any case, I have over 10,000 miles on mine without truing or repair, and that includes many race miles -- this really is just not something to worry about all that much...

You may have missed the post where I pointed out that the Ksyriums are boutique wheels as well

You can do the work, but it is definitely not easy. I have built and repaired many wheels but will shy away from repairing these (I have the luxury of owning more than one set of wheels). Check out this thread . and as I mentioned before Easton techs tend to frown on this (not that that should stop you).

From the above thread "After reading the instructions though I opted in each case to send them back to Velomax (now Easton) for repair and in both cases it took about 3-weeks time for the wheels to be repaired and even with parts, labor, and shipping, the cost was under $60."

I would imagine that getting a spoke fabricated would cost the same, however you would gain some time -- if you have another set of wheels that is not really an issue

dgangi said:
Why would that be? Even though the spokes are double-threaded and probably not in stock at your LBS, there is a good chance that a full-service shop can create one since they are derived from standard spokes. Plus there are Velomax certified shops all over the place that can true a wheel should a spoke break. Velomax (Easton) even has a PDF on the website that describes the process. It's not easy, but appears to be doable.

The K's are worse for repair IMHO -- the spokes are proprietary, and often geting one replaced takes time. A friend of mine broke a spoke on his Ksyrium SSC and it took weeks to get the spoke in from Mavic.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Ebay

rollinrob said:
Thanks
The Ksyrium Elites cost more on Ebay because they have the word "Ksyrium" on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts