Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a new set of velomax circuit wheels. On in spection I noticed a gap between the outside cone and main hub on the non-drive side. Has anyone else had a similar issue or know what I can do to adjust??

Thanks for looking..

·
Registered
675 Posts
The end caps just press on

theFuzz said:
I just received a new set of velomax circuit wheels. On in spection I noticed a gap between the outside cone and main hub on the non-drive side. Has anyone else had a similar issue or know what I can do to adjust??

Thanks for looking..
You should be able to snap the cap back on with just your fingers. Otherwise a few taps with a rubber mallet will work it on. The caps are there just to shield the bearings.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Tried it already...

There is a small (2mm) ring in the inside of the cone that looks like it should fit inside the bearing housing and that is hitting the bearing and not going any further..

·
Registered
675 Posts
theFuzz said:
There is a small (2mm) ring in the inside of the cone that looks like it should fit inside the bearing housing and that is hitting the bearing and not going any further..
There should only be a rubber o-ring between the bearing and endcap and should fit in the endcap. Try pulling off the cap and greasing the o-ring, then see if you can snap it all the way on. If you can't get the cap off with your hands, wrap a flat-head screwdriver with a little electrical tape and use it to pry the cap off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Install your wheel into the dropouts, tighten the quick release. Keep using the cam action of the quick release to tighten your hub. Make sure your keep turning the nut portion of your quick release after actuating your cam lever until you can't tighten it any further. I can see that your axle is not protruding far enough from the dropout facing portion of the hub, so this should easily fix your problem.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Bigger hammer?

nocwrench said:
Install your wheel into the dropouts, tighten the quick release.
While I agree that this should work, I would worry about applying too much force without understanding the cause. Clearly this cap is supposed to be much farther on the axle, but if something is jammed or wedged, then the force of the QR lever could cause damage.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved

After a call with the dealer and easton all I needed to do was use a socket the same size as the outer ring of the bearing and a hammer to seat it furner into the hub body. A few taps and everything lined up and seated just fine... Why the bearing was not seated all the way I do not know, but problem solved..

Thanks all for looking..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts