Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI folks!

I want to change my 3 years old Mavic Cosmos. They are nice but a little bit heavy. I got some lack in the rear hub and I needed to fix it three times. By LBS suggest me two wheelsets : The Velomax Orion II and the Fulcrum 3 for a really good price.
Both have a terrific look and are strong enough for my weight (210 lb). I'm aware of the Velomax spoke system (seem tricky to change a spoke). The Fulcum are hold free on the rim grouve side which is interesting. Velomax use cartridge bearing and Fulcum adjustable bearing, which are easier for maintenance.


Any advise?:confused:

LemondRouge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I have an older set of Orions. They are very nice wheels. I wasn't keen on the spoke system, but I haven't had any problems. The hubs are very smooth.
I don't know about the bearings, but it seems I remember reading you can't change them anyway, although I may be wrong.
I would buy them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Rotten experience with Velomax

LemondRouge said:
HI folks!

I want to change my 3 years old Mavic Cosmos. They are nice but a little bit heavy. I got some lack in the rear hub and I needed to fix it three times. By LBS suggest me two wheelsets : The Velomax Orion II and the Fulcrum 3 for a really good price.
Both have a terrific look and are strong enough for my weight (210 lb). I'm aware of the Velomax spoke system (seem tricky to change a spoke). The Fulcum are hold free on the rim grouve side which is interesting. Velomax use cartridge bearing and Fulcum adjustable bearing, which are easier for maintenance.


Any advise?:confused:

LemondRouge
I've had both Orion I's (sewups) and II's (clinchers). I weigh 170 - 185 lbs, depending on the season. In my entire life (35 years of riding, avg. 6000+ miles/yr. for last decade) I've broken a total of 3 spokes. 1 was on an old beater wheel when I hit a drainage dip in the dark, hard. The other two were both coasting or pedalling along, no stress whatever on the wheels, on the Orions. Both were rear wheels, drive side, spoke broke inside the nipple.

The Orion I broke a spoke with only a few hundred miles. It also developed cracks at every single drive side spoke hole in less than 1K miles. Velomax replaced the rim, but I've never ridden that wheel again. It's been hanging in my garage for years. The Orion II had several hundred miles, less than 1K, when it broke a spoke. I'm still riding those wheels, since I haven't replaced them yet. The rear wheel squeaks and creaks like a haunted house. Spoke tension is OK, I've lubed all the spoke holes, tightened the cassette, but nothing will quiet it down. It needs to go back to Velomax for repair/rebuild.

I've had Campy Shamals, Nucleons, Neutrons, Zipp 303's and 404's, Reynolds Altas, Heliums, and multiple sets of Record/Open Pro wheels, including radial spoking and 14/17spokes. Never broke a spoke or hand any kind of problem with any of them. So it's not like I'm hard on equipment.

You couldn't GIVE me another set of velomax wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
I can't imagine that any Easton/Velomax wheel could be even remotely better than any Fulcrum model.

One has very shoddy sealed bearings with a poorly designed retention system, a tendency (as another poster said) to break spokes, and a reputation for pulling spokes through the rim seat.

The other one is designed and built by Campagnolo. Hmmmm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Orions

I use Orion IIs as my race wheels. I love them and they are light and strong for larger riders like me at 6'2" about 165lbs. had no probs w/ them thus far.

I like the ride & handling better than other race wheels I've used in the past: Shimano DAs, mavic OP/ultegras, Ksyrium SLs circa 2003.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Given those two choices: Fulcrum.

What kind of deal are you getting? I think you'd be at least as well served getting a set off wheels built up for you by one of the many competent wheel builders out there. It could be worth considering.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
I had a set...

I had a set of Orion II's a few years back and the rear began squeaking about 500 miles after I got it; nowhere near as bad as a haunted house, but enough to be annoying. I sent the rear back to Velomax and they found that one of the bearings was shot. Once they replaced the bearing, the wheel was quiet once again. I found the wheels sort of "flexy" as an out of the saddle effort would cause the rim to come into contact with the brake pads. I fixed this by opening the calipers a little more (a nickle with a penny width).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
sorry, thread drift

alienator said:
Given those two choices: Fulcrum.

What kind of deal are you getting? I think you'd be at least as well served getting a set off wheels built up for you by one of the many competent wheel builders out there. It could be worth considering.....
Considering the value of the Velomax Orion II and the Fulcrum 3 wheelsets at what cost should someone considering going handbuilt? 1500g- $450? from mike g site. he was the easiest to find, but i'm sure there is others.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
cmg said:
Considering the value of the Velomax Orion II and the Fulcrum 3 wheelsets at what cost should someone considering going handbuilt? 1500g- $450? from mike g site. he was the easiest to find, but i'm sure there is others.
Well, a very quick search found Orion II's and Fulcrum 3's running between $620 and $799. For somewhere in the ballpark of $500 you ought to be able to have a set built that is around 1400g and very durable. For not much more you can get something lighter weight and durable. I'm sure getting a 1500g set built for easily less than $500, maybe at or less than $400.

Even if the Orions or Fulcrums are knocked down to $500, or even less, you could have an equivalent wheel built for less.

The thing to do would be to ask Ligero, Ergott, Mike Garcia, et al.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
got Orions thru team deal

alienator said:
Well, a very quick search found Orion II's and Fulcrum 3's running between $620 and $799. For somewhere in the ballpark of $500 you ought to be able to have a set built that is around 1400g and very durable. For not much more you can get something lighter weight and durable. I'm sure getting a 1500g set built for easily less than $500, maybe at or less than $400.

Even if the Orions or Fulcrums are knocked down to $500, or even less, you could have an equivalent wheel built for less.

The thing to do would be to ask Ligero, Ergott, Mike Garcia, et al.
Yeah, I got my Orions thru a team deal for abut $500, which makes those prices competetive with the wheel builders.

I ride Orions b/c my team is sponsored by Easton. It's also sponsored by Mavic and we can get a deal on them, too, but the deal on the Ksyriums wasn't as good as the one on the Orions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fulcrum 3

Thank you all for your advice and comment.
I'll go with the Fulcrum 3. Main raison, the cup bearing are easier for maintenance and the hold free on the rim groove side make it reliable.

Have a nice ride! :cool:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top