Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.velonews.com/article/76923/shimano-unveils-the-new-dura-ace-7900

Interesting details:

The new crankset does not adopt Shimano’s 970 XTR non-drive crank arm attachment; instead it retains the pinch-bolt style design of the old crank.

After a long wait Shimano will also carry a Dura-Ace branded compact crankset (34/50) with the 7900 series group.
Not impressive- should have gone with the XTR system. Carbon crank remains 7800 style, expensive, Bigfootian.

Likely the best improvement is the addition of a removable master link. The master link marks a welcome departure from Shimano’s traditional Hyperglide connection pin; the SM-CN79 quicklink provides a reusable connection and removal point for the chain. Even better, the quicklink can be used on any Shimano 10-speed chain,
Welcome to 2005 Shimano.

Shimano claims its new Dura-Ace front derailleur cage design eliminates the need to manually trim the front shifting, therefore the extra detents have been eliminated.
Fail.

The 7900 Dura-Ace cassette will be available in the following combinations: 11-21, 11-23, 11-25, 11-27, 11-28, 12-23, 12-25 and 12-27.
Thank SRAM for forcing Shimano to finally expand the cassette ranges to add the 11-25, 11-27 and 11-28.

While the new group is lighter than the previous version, it doesn’t trump either Campagnolo or SRAM when it comes to weight
Oops. Not only "doesn't trump" its at least a 1/4 pound heavier. That's not going to help with the massive price increase. Also the incompatibility with 7800 was glossed over.

Looks like Red is going to get even heavier spec next year I would guess.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the cyclingnews article:

While the new cable pull ratios may mean better performance for this newest generation of Dura-Ace componentry, it also unfortunately means that 7900 shifters and derailleurs will not be compatible with earlier versions.
AKA as "the turd in the punchbowl"

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shimano's release picture. Crank and rings are fugly, rear derailler is pretty nice.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I think DA 7800 cranks look like Cindy Crawford and the 7900 version looks like a re-touched Cindy to make her look like Shrek.

Fugly is right and I thought SRAM Red was ugly (crankset). Not much difference IMO.

Love the hoods and well, RD is alright, pretty snazzy.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,335 Posts
Coolhand said:
http://www.velonews.com/article/76923/shimano-unveils-the-new-dura-ace-7900

Oops. Not only "doesn't trump" its at least a 1/4 pound heavier. That's not going to help with the massive price increase. Also the incompatibility with 7800 was glossed over.

You beat me to it Coolio.

Better yet though-WHY does Shimano keep trying to get electronic shifting to work? If something isn´t broke, why set about making an overly complicated-battery powered-heavy and expensive solution? Moreover something breaks out in the middle of nowhere-and you're fcked.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Room 1201 said:

Better yet though-WHY does Shimano keep trying to get electronic shifting to work? If something isn´t broke, why set about making an overly complicated-battery powered-heavy and expensive solution? Moreover something breaks out in the middle of nowhere-and you're fcked.
Campy is having electronic shifters too.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Room 1201 said:

I think because the theory of it is good. Eliminating cables, housing and stops, more consistent shifts, especially under load ect. Why the "fly by wire" system is adopted elsewhere. But the implementation is a bear. The cost/benefit ratio isn't good yet. It really can't be used for brakes (safety/litigation risk). Battery issues, weight issues, dealing with various frame shapes- there is a reason they have been prototyping these for 3-4 years straight.

Still, you can see how the engineers love the idea. And Campy and Shimano have to be afraid that the other will make it work and beat them to market. Still with all the time and money they wasted on this, SRAM has snuck up and hit them with Force and Rival in 2007. Then the Red bombshell in 2008. And now revised Force and Rival with several Red features and various nice improvements for 2009.

Seeing the OEM spec SRAM is getting (and what they have done in the MTB market) Shimano and Campy must be quite nervous.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
They say the brifters are compatible with 2008, which is awesome. Internal routing is great...finally.
If you use a 7900 RD and 7900 ST shifters, then you can use 7800 cassettes.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I like the look of the group. The cranks and rear derailleur remind me of the XTR group, which I find extraordinarily appealing in the flesh.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
iliveonnitro said:
They say the brifters are compatible with 2008, which is awesome. Internal routing is great...finally.
Actually they are not- different cable pull. That's the turd in the punchbowl. If you want to use the spiffy (and pricey) new shifters, your buying pricey new deraillers too.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bwhite_4 said:
I like how they admit their updated looks/ergonomics are slightly ripped off from SRAM.

Either way, I think this looks better than the last line-up, but I'll stick with campy :)
Campy is changing too. 11 speed Record is the rumor. I will let someone else beta test that (would make for good clearance deals or 08 QS stuff though. . . ).

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Coolhand said:
Campy is changing too. 11 speed Record is the rumor. I will let someone else beta test that (would make for good clearance deals or 08 QS stuff though. . . ).
Huh, Not a rumor.

Super Record, recorde and Chrous are CONFIRMED 11 speed for 2009.
Iam glad I got me RECOD shifters early. I have ZERO desire for 11 speed Campy.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Personally, I am liking the new 09 DA excpet fopr those cranks!!!

Those are UGLY as hell. They looks like mid 80" Tourney stuff. Desgin might be better, but the looks are some of the worse ever.

I love the new shifters. But I am a campy guy. Also switching from Campy Record to DA 7900 would cost to much.

The new DA is supposed to be that good, but I prefer the feel and overall Campy line.

Tried the SRAM stuff. Hated DT shifting. The hoods were nice. Toss up between them and Campy for ergo.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.