Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VeloPlugs don't work with my DT Swiss RR1.1 rims. They just fall out.

They worked OK in my Open Pro's, some didn't want to go in easily, but they have worked for the last thousand+ miles.

This is incredibly frustrating, mainly because I found this out at 11:15 last night and I don't have any rim strips in my house.

Do the size of the nipple holes really vary that much from brand to brand that these will only be ideal in Velocity's rims?

It's not that huge of a problem, just thought I'd let others know.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ligero said:
You can always use a bit of tubular glue on each plug and that will hold them in enough to get the tire and tube on.
But what happens when I get a flat and I take the tube off and all the plugs fall all over the place when I'm 20 miles from home?

PeanutButterBreath said:
They don't even work in some Velocity rims
Which is unfortunate because they are a great idea, in theory (less weight, reusable, can remove just one for nipple replacement, etc)

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Ligero said:
You can always use a bit of tubular glue on each plug and that will hold them in enough to get the tire and tube on.
+1... Or use silicone or anything else you have around. They won't fall out. You can even use electrical tape over the top if you are worried about it (1/2 inch tape is best).

· Registered
838 Posts
threesportsinone said:
But what happens when I get a flat and I take the tube off and all the plugs fall all over the place when I'm 20 miles from home?
Tubular glue stays kind of sticky so even if one did fall out you should be able to put it back in and it have it stay.

They have been saying for a few years now that they were going to make another size of velo plug to fit the rims with larger holes but it has never happened.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Pedros rim strips that I picked up on the way home work great, maybe next time I'll mess with the velo plugs.

Now, this effing Conti tire does not want to go onto a DT rim, oh well, the bike won't be race ready by 10am tomorrow anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.