Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
m3bas
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly apologies if this has been done to death, I'm not asking for debate on the merits of aero vs non aero here.
I've been offered the S-Works Vias at about half the price they originally retailed for. Always liked the look of it but the price they came out for originally was absurd. Obviously the local distributor overestimated initial demand...

Anyway the question is to those who have actually or still own one and how they are liking it. I've read about brakes either being utter crap or as good as Dura Ace, similar for handling, climbing, etc.

I'm trying to work out if the faster Venge gives back the few seconds it gains through poorer handling/ braking compared to something like the Tarmac.

Most of my racing is criteriums and road racing on undulating or flat courses.

And yes i can ride both, but a 30min loop is a lot different to racing, and can't get my position anywhere near perfect on the Venge for a test ride due to the stem configuration.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I'd go Tarmac all day every day.

That Vias is an amalgamation of undesirable components.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Of course it's personal decision based on many factors, but this person would opt for the Tarmac.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The Vias is ugly as anything. I'd choose the Tarmac based purely on aesthetics.

Plus, at those two levels of bikes, they're both likely to be tremendous.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Firstly apologies if this has been done to death, I'm not asking for debate on the merits of aero vs non aero here.
I've been offered the S-Works Vias at about half the price they originally retailed for. Always liked the look of it but the price they came out for originally was absurd. Obviously the local distributor overestimated initial demand...

Anyway the question is to those who have actually or still own one and how they are liking it. I've read about brakes either being utter crap or as good as Dura Ace, similar for handling, climbing, etc.

I'm trying to work out if the faster Venge gives back the few seconds it gains through poorer handling/ braking compared to something like the Tarmac.

Most of my racing is criteriums and road racing on undulating or flat courses.

And yes i can ride both, but a 30min loop is a lot different to racing, and can't get my position anywhere near perfect on the Venge for a test ride due to the stem configuration.

Thanks in advance!
Where did you read about Venge Vias brakes being as good as DA brakes? No way, not even close.

·
m3bas
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couple of the initial reviews said they were as good as or close to Dura Ace. Of course riding around a brand new bike in the sunshine is different to 3-6 month old cables on a rainy descent.
I don't know why i like the look of it, prefer the Madone which i can actually get below dealer cost, but for similar spec its still significantly more then the Venge. Trek and their stupid idea of only making the H1 fit in the top grade carbon...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
Get the one you like the paint of most. And the one you can afford to crash, since you are racing.

It is a bike, not a soulmate to argue about which side of the roll the toilet paper goes over until-death-do-you-part.

Besides...you'll be bored of it in 2 years and want a new bike that claims to be 10% stiffer anyway.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Really?!? I think the Vias is just plain badass. It's that opinion thing
I absolutely hate the stem/headset/top tube integration thing. The new Scott Foil has a very similar design. It's absolutely hideous. The entire front end looks super silly.

The brake fairings are also ugly.

Compare that with the front-end (and rear brake) integration of the Trek Madones. Pure poetry, that bike.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
It's more badass in person.. Even in the store is not doing it justice because the steerer has not been cut yet.. Once that's done= badass.

Yeah I still like the madone9 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts