Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here have pictures of the Vias on lower rims and/or experience riding it in the mountains (no braking questions)?

Living in flat lands myself, ideal Vias country, but would be using it about 6 to 8 weeks per year in the mountains. Or better go for a Tarmac disc....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
My concern about riding with lower rims is the bottom of the bike may rub on the ground and slow it down. This may also cause sparks and start a fire. That is unless you install higher tires. Also fording rivers maybe more problematic. YMMV

·
Registered
666 Posts
My concern about riding with lower rims is the bottom of the bike may rub on the ground and slow it down. This may also cause sparks and start a fire. That is unless you install higher tires. Also fording rivers maybe more problematic. YMMV

Hydraulic lift kit, lowrider setup.
Definitely improve bunny hop, too.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Hydraulic lift kit, lowrider setup.
Definitely improve bunny hop, too.
You know what you call people who speak 3 languages?

A: Trilingual

Two languages?

A: Bilingual

Do you know what they call people who speak one language?

A: Americans!

You know what the OP meant!

·
Registered
666 Posts
You know what you call people who speak 3 languages?

A: Trilingual

Two languages?

A: Bilingual

Do you know what they call people who speak one language?

A: Americans!

You know what the OP meant!

Actually, they call us Ceppos down under. But I didn't start it, the second poster got us off on the kind of heavy to ride 8 weeks a year in mountains. but there is no reason why shallow rims would be any different, except slower on flats and, depending gone weight, faster up those mountains. there is a photo on specialized's website of the cheapest disc stop with shallow rims, which should give you a sense of the aesthetics.
Still thinking that hydraulic lift kit a good idea, though....

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I've just ridden a Venge (not Vias, but std. Ultegra) for a few months. I'd never take it to the French Alps. Even if it steers fine (like a Tarmac) the feel while crimbing is no fun. Dunno about the Vias either. Seems like you have to be able to put the rear wheel in correctly, ta-da, and I don't know about those brakes. I'd rather have standard Shimano brakes, or even better disc brakes.

I say Tarmac disc. And tight clothes and a potty helmet for the flats.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've just ridden a Venge (not Vias, but std. Ultegra) for a few months. I'd never take it to the French Alps. Even if it steers fine (like a Tarmac) the feel while crimbing is no fun. Dunno about the Vias either. Seems like you have to be able to put the rear wheel in correctly, ta-da, and I don't know about those brakes. I'd rather have standard Shimano brakes, or even better disc brakes.

I say Tarmac disc. And tight clothes and a potty helmet for the flats.
Ive ridden the 1st gen venge in the mountains and it's perfectly fine, no different from most other all-around race bikes as opposed to say a decided climbing bike. It's not heavy, the brakes of course work like they always do, etc.
The Vias I just can't really picutre it, what with the weight issue, and the iffy brakes (unless you go disc).
Tarmac disc would certainly be the best specialized choice for fast mountain efforts. VIAS disc should be fine, other than the weight issue.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ive ridden the 1st gen venge in the mountains and it's perfectly fine, no different from most other all-around race bikes as opposed to say a decided climbing bike. It's not heavy, the brakes of course work like they always do, etc.
The Vias I just can't really picutre it, what with the weight issue, and the iffy brakes (unless you go disc).
Tarmac disc would certainly be the best specialized choice for fast mountain efforts. VIAS disc should be fine, other than the weight issue.
And even the weight issue, it really depends on what you are coming from. Obviously if you are riding a 14-15lb bike and are going to a 17lb VIAS you might notice a difference but if what you are riding is anything heavier than 17lbs and you already ride it in the mountains the perceived difference should be minimal. The ViAS is a lot more tarmac like in feel than the original venge with the exception of its extra weight.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Does anybody here have pictures of the Vias on lower rims and/or experience riding it in the mountains (no braking questions)?
No braking questions? Hahahahaha.

Do yourself a favor: take out a really fat life insurance policy before you take that piece of trash into the mountains.

·
Registered
362 Posts
They ride great in the mountains. I have been riding my for the past 4 months and have had no issues. Climbs very similar to my SW Tarmac.

·
Registered
440 Posts
No braking questions? Hahahahaha.

Do yourself a favor: take out a really fat life insurance policy before you take that piece of trash into the mountains.
The poster does not appear to know English well, give them a break.

Their probably talking about issues with no braking, as in overheating or are the brakes any good [as in having no brakes cause they are junk].

1 - 13 of 13 Posts