Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
poseur
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about re-lacing Vento to Dura-Ace track hub a while ago. And my master mechanic finally complete it:
Campy Vento rim 16H, Dura-Ace high flange track rear hub 32H, Sapim CX-rays spokes.
Thanks to all the people with suggestions on spokes, and Kerry Iron for the tips on the drive side lacing, I didn't realize that the hub holes are offset. Check out the detailed shot of rear wheel, skip two holes, then use next two, it worked out wonderfully.
Took out yesterday and today. the wheel is solid. Very stiff yet handle potholes better than the old wheel which was 32H 3X, I am guessing this is because of the spokes?
Anyway, enjoy!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
Qubeley said:
I asked about re-lacing Vento to Dura-Ace track hub a while ago. And my master mechanic finally complete it:
Campy Vento rim 16H, Dura-Ace high flange track rear hub 32H, Sapim CX-rays spokes.
Thanks to all the people with suggestions on spokes, and Kerry Iron for the tips on the drive side lacing, I didn't realize that the hub holes are offset. Check out the detailed shot of rear wheel, skip two holes, then use next two, it worked out wonderfully.
Took out yesterday and today. the wheel is solid. Very stiff yet handle potholes better than the old wheel which was 32H 3X, I am guessing this is because of the spokes?
Anyway, enjoy!
Wow does that look good. It's a huge improvement over the standard pista
 

·
Arrogant roadie.....
Joined
·
4,232 Posts
Umm...are you sure you got that right?
Shouldn't your spokes be outside? I'd think that, if I were building a wheel with spokes on only one side of the flange, it would be on the outside, especially on the rear. I once built a radial 'inside-only' front wheel (for aerodynamics), and it was always 'noodly'. I've never made that mistake again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
My heavens!! it's moving in the picture!

that's a jaw dropper!

BTW, can you elaborate on the 'offset spoke hub holes'? do you mean they are drilled
offset?
 

·
angel of the morning
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
you must be one sexy mo-fo ...

lookie that ... celeste tires, proper track bars with half tape, snakeskin saddle, tricky spoke rear wheel ...... PIMPIN' !!!!!!

that is just plain hot. agressive, lean, purposefull & a little out of the ordinary. well done - i see you spent plenty of time thinking this out and adding up all the bits for plenty of visual drool. much talent my good sir......

just 2 things ... dave_stohler is very correct about lacing spokes on the outside - being that you only have 16 of them it would be very prudent ...... & slap a silver seatpost on it (just try it) ... it will delineate where the frame ends and compliment the rest of it very nicely indeed.

all things said & done - if you post this on fixedgeargallery.com i can assure you of winning the next round of viewers favorites. heck, even this ol' retro grouch is rueing why i sold off my silver campy shamals for substantialy less than i paid for 'em. lusty shiny silver, gorgeous design and hotter than hot pink graphics make one set of pretty wheels.

you, my good sir, are a natural when it comes to putting together a styling bici - well done. it's not hard to make a fixed gear look good but when a delicious & memorable one like this is presented we should all say .... thank you for the inspiration & raising the art.

ciao
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Notice where he shot the photo?

I thought it was pretty subtle the way he posed his Bianchi against a celeste bridge.

Styling for sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Umm...are you sure you got that right?
Shouldn't your spokes be outside? I'd think that, if I were building a wheel with spokes on only one side of the flange, it would be on the outside, especially on the rear. I once built a radial 'inside-only' front wheel (for aerodynamics), and it was always 'noodly'. I've never made that mistake again.
Question for you wheel builders. I've never built my own so I'll let my ignorance show.


On a track hub is it going to make that big of a difference? The flanges on the Dura Ace track hub are much further apart than a standard road hub re-laced to fixed. I agree that the wheel will be stronger if the spokes are on the outside but even with the spokes on the inside, it's still wider than a standard road hub.
 

·
poseur
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"offset"

joe friday said:
that's a jaw dropper!

BTW, can you elaborate on the 'offset spoke hub holes'? do you mean they are drilled
offset?
Yes, I meant they are drilled offset. So, you can't really simply skip one hole on both side. The center of crossing spoke won't line up with the radial spoke on the other side. If you skip two though, it will.
I have never poked a spoke through a hole before(strictly bike term ;-) so that was some "discovery" for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Qubeley said:
I asked about re-lacing Vento to Dura-Ace track hub a while ago. And my master mechanic finally complete it:
Campy Vento rim 16H, Dura-Ace high flange track rear hub 32H, Sapim CX-rays spokes.
Thanks to all the people with suggestions on spokes, and Kerry Iron for the tips on the drive side lacing, I didn't realize that the hub holes are offset. Check out the detailed shot of rear wheel, skip two holes, then use next two, it worked out wonderfully.
Took out yesterday and today. the wheel is solid. Very stiff yet handle potholes better than the old wheel which was 32H 3X, I am guessing this is because of the spokes?
Anyway, enjoy!
Looks fantastic! I really like it. I'd probably go with Celeste tape, too, but that's just me.

I might be a little concerned about the strength of the hub flanges, given the reduced number of spokes, higher tension, and radial spoking. Check this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/record-track.html

I realize that this is a Campy, not a Dura Ace, but those problems were with full, tangential spoking, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Inside/outside

I think, if I were to skimp as many spokes as this gentleman, I'd lace em on the inside of the flanges. Outside will put more stress at the elbow of the spoke AND stress the relativly thin walled flanges on those hubs. A Phil hub with 28+ spokes? Outside with a thicker elbowed spoke and take my time tensioning/seating the spokes.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top