Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Never DNF
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started racing with the local cycle club. Turned up for my 3rd race on Saturday. During the event I was leading a bunch as we went round a corner, cornering meant the wind changed from head on to coming from R shoulder. Previously had been rotating Rightwise, I got a call to pull over and pulled to the Left, unfortunately in front of the rider coming thru (group had before that rotated from the Right side). I didn't realise the rotation would change depending on the wind. An inexperience error, on my part, no injuries, no bikes hit, no slowing, no one fell.
But the verbal abuse I suffered from the rider was way out of line. Repeated use of the f word and high-pitched screaming, followed by more use of the f-word and more screaming... you get the picture. I want to race and learn more but have better things to do with my Saturday than be abused like this. It's a small club and the riders were well aware that I was new and learning. After the race another rider in the bunch apologised for the abusers behaviour and politely explained how rotating and the wind works.
What to do? Do clubs have rules about this behaviour? Any similar experieinces appreciated...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
don't let it bother you. First off, one of the more experienced riders should have taken charge and signaled the change of direction. Secondly, in cycle racing you can't be so sensitive.

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
It's like the army or boot camp. They help you grow and learn by yelling at you.

Now get back out there biker!

I'd have told him to shove it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
Some people just like to yell a lot. It makes them feel more "manly".
When someone comes down on me, I usually start off with a quick "HEY", followed by a J.F.C., and finished by a "Be careful there".

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Pull him aside and "talk" to him. I don't care how much someone screws up, if no one got hurt, it wasn't worth more than one "f#@kin' idiot!".

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
School Yard

WingNut said:
...What to do? Do clubs have rules about this behaviour? Any similar experieinces appreciated...
Well you should have learned how to deal with this on the school yard when you were a kid. You did have a bully at your school? Simply ignore or respond. If I chose not to ignore someone in a race I would typically respond aren't you fast enough to not be sitting on my wheel? or perhaps if you are so good why are you still racing Cat. 5?.

Remember that other riders may be on the rivet and when their safety is perceived to be endangered they may react emotionally rather than logically. Also keep in mind that you may be getting yelled at because you made a mistake. That does not justify excessive verbal abuse but at the same time you need to ask yourself (or someone with knowledge that is a bit more calm) what you did wrong and how to correct it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
Christ !

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
tell the jerk..

WingNut said:
I've recently started racing with the local cycle club. Turned up for my 3rd race on Saturday. During the event I was leading a bunch as we went round a corner, cornering meant the wind changed from head on to coming from R shoulder. Previously had been rotating Rightwise, I got a call to pull over and pulled to the Left, unfortunately in front of the rider coming thru (group had before that rotated from the Right side). I didn't realise the rotation would change depending on the wind. An inexperience error, on my part, no injuries, no bikes hit, no slowing, no one fell.
But the verbal abuse I suffered from the rider was way out of line. Repeated use of the f word and high-pitched screaming, followed by more use of the f-word and more screaming... you get the picture. I want to race and learn more but have better things to do with my Saturday than be abused like this. It's a small club and the riders were well aware that I was new and learning. After the race another rider in the bunch apologised for the abusers behaviour and politely explained how rotating and the wind works.
What to do? Do clubs have rules about this behaviour? Any similar experieinces appreciated...

to stick it. he's no better, just more experienced. if no one was hurt, no bikes were damaged, and it only caused one guy some inconvenience, you're fine. just learn from teh situation. as to whether or not to go back to this club is up to you...
I'd personally talk to a different rider who was there and discuss the situation...you can diffuse it from many different ends. if you race with him, sit on his wheel the whole time and smoke him at the line (my personal preference). its a club right, its not a prime packed crit or the end of the world. riders on the local circuit here might have even found such a jerk in the parking lot afterwards...that sh*t isn't tolerated. ride with the other rider who was willing to explain. I'm guessing the same guy had a talk with ass-boy also... I would.

·
Registered
896 Posts
diffuse

if you want to keep riding with these guys, talk to the jerk that yelled at you: in a joking tone: " hey Bob, you sure got pretty excited when I screwed up and rototated off the right, I sure learned that lesson quick. is there anything else I need to know about pacelines"

if you don't reach-out, a jerk like that with a chip on his shoulder will probably maintain a rift between you. taht doesn't work well in a team sport

bahueh said:
to stick it. he's no better, just more experienced. if no one was hurt, no bikes were damaged, and it only caused one guy some inconvenience, you're fine. just learn from teh situation. as to whether or not to go back to this club is up to you...
I'd personally talk to a different rider who was there and discuss the situation...you can diffuse it from many different ends. if you race with him, sit on his wheel the whole time and smoke him at the line (my personal preference). its a club right, its not a prime packed crit or the end of the world. riders on the local circuit here might have even found such a jerk in the parking lot afterwards...that sh*t isn't tolerated. ride with the other rider who was willing to explain. I'm guessing the same guy had a talk with ass-boy also... I would.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I don't race but do a lot of group riding. My biggest explosion at another rider was when she screwed up in a pace line and nearly sent me to the deck. It was just sheer adrenaline misplaced as anger, and I apologized later. I certainly hope that if he isn't a complete jerk, he later felt embarrassed.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
as jtolleson suggested with his post, it was probably just adrenaline that sparked the guy on.

if someone yells at me in a group ride/race i usually tell them to [email protected] off.

Once, in a race, some guy cut me off, and i yelled. he yelled back at me. a team mate shouted "hit him Otto", and i was so pumped (adrenaline from the near-miss-crash) that i ALMOST did ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't worry too much. It's really difficult in a crosswind knowing the correct response or etiquette. Theoretically, you are supposed to pull off into the wind, but sometimes you don't change the rotating direction depending on the traffic conditions. Learning to ride a rotating paceline is difficult -- you see riders with years of experience accelerating their pulls or not soft pedaling when they pull off. Riding a cross wind echelon is even more difficult -- very few American riders have the skill to ride one correctly. You should know that every good rider has messed up in pacelines -- it's all part of learning to ride in groups. And just like in every group, you'll find all sorts of riders -- riders with class, big jerks, and everything in between.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tobu said:
Don't worry too much. It's really difficult in a crosswind knowing the correct response or etiquette. Theoretically, you are supposed to pull off into the wind, but sometimes you don't change the rotating direction depending on the traffic conditions. Learning to ride a rotating paceline is difficult -- you see riders with years of experience accelerating their pulls or not soft pedaling when they pull off. Riding a cross wind echelon is even more difficult -- very few American riders have the skill to ride one correctly. You should know that every good rider has messed up in pacelines -- it's all part of learning to ride in groups. And just like in every group, you'll find all sorts of riders -- riders with class, big jerks, and everything in between.

i wouldnt worry about it, the best thing is, he probably realized that he made an ass of himself in public. thats the cool thing about how life works - bad karma for him......you dont have to do anything :)

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
As jtolleson said,

jtolleson said:
I don't race but do a lot of group riding. My biggest explosion at another rider was when she screwed up in a pace line and nearly sent me to the deck. It was just sheer adrenaline misplaced as anger, and I apologized later. I certainly hope that if he isn't a complete jerk, he later felt embarrassed.
He hit it right on the head. Some moreons just have to yell. Mostly its mis-placed adreanaline rushes. Everything that goes around, comes around. If they're s******ing and/or angry after the fact, then they're un-happy people. Make a mental note. That dude probably just has other personal issues, or a small penis. or something else that makes him chronically angry.

Relax. I've been yelled at plenty o times, mostly for things that were legitimately my fault. All learning experiences.

BT

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to racing

Everyone else has given good advice; sometimes races turn grown men in whiny, swearing little boys. I've ridden a few Cat4 races with some real vocal racers. My best advice it to hold your ground, and recognize your mistakes, if you are in fact the one in error. Sometimes you won't be and the person yelling at you is just an idiot; it's important to realize when you've effed up or the other guy is just a moron. In either case, it usually doesn't hurt to yell back at them (profanity optional) with either a "sorry, lighten up" or "shut the F up, I'm holding my effing line!" :)

One race last season really pushed my buttons. Another racer kept yelling at me to hold my line throughout most of the race when on the contrary I was holding a pretty straight line and he was pinballing around in the pelaton. I knew I was riding straight, and two of my teammates said I was riding fine after we finished the race. So what did I do? I told him to shut the F up and for him to hold his line. He quit talking after that. Yeah, pretty immature, but he stopped yelling at me. I don't feel like my junk is bigger for saying that, nor I am I proud of myself. Just pointing out that sometimes you have fight fire with fire and realize it's all just an amatuer sport. The bottom line IMO is that no one is really being serious when they yell at other people; atleast not to the point that they are trying to personally insult you. I think everyone's primary concern in a race is to finish without a crash, which is a valid concern when you think about how dangerous 50+ riders going 30mph with inches between them is.

If you enjoy the other aspects of racing, try not to let this get you down. Live, learn and don't be afraid to yell back :) .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude use this as a motivator...

Next time he is on your wheel be in good enough shape to drop his ass then yell back something to the effect of "whats wrong? Can't you hang you big (insert explative!)" :D :D :D

I love being childish

·
Registered
39 Posts
Memory loss?

Blow it off.....that guy probably screwed up when he was just new to the sport.....maybe you could remind him that he was new at one time as well....who know you may soon be better and faster than him and then you have the upper hand.......some guys take the sport way to serrious.......I think he probably has a small set.... .the high pitched screaming......some day he may hit puberty.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts