Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden with a few clubs so far. The first one taught me to not only hand signal if there was a hazard but to also verbalize it. Things like, "rock" "car back", etc. One of the clubs I ride with next has a guy who tells me that verbalizing is wrong and downright dangerous as people usually can't hear you correctly and people have been killed looking back when a rider behind yells "car back".

So, which is correct? Seems to me that if you are behind a rider the only way to warn them that a car is coming is yell at them since they usu. can't see hand signals unless they are alien with eyes in the backs of their heads.:mad2:

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
gobike1 said:
I've ridden with a few clubs so far. The first one taught me to not only hand signal if there was a hazard but to also verbalize it. Things like, "rock" "car back", etc. One of the clubs I ride with next has a guy who tells me that verbalizing is wrong and downright dangerous as people usually can't hear you correctly and people have been killed looking back when a rider behind yells "car back".

So, which is correct? Seems to me that if you are behind a rider the only way to warn them that a car is coming is yell at them since they usu. can't see hand signals unless they are alien with eyes in the backs of their heads.:mad2:
There is no "correct". It depends on the conventions of each ride. Do what they do. If you do not feel that they are safe, don't ride with them. - TF

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
You're right; there's no other way to warn of a car back (and car up) than to announce it. Otherwise, I would suggest following the conventions of the group and your own best judgment. I use both hand and voice signals, depending on the circumstances. The bigger the danger and/or immediate the harm, the more likely I am to use both.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
verbal is good, but make sure the rider is not dyslexic...

one guy in our group announces 'clear right' when he means there's no traffic on the left...has almost resulted in a crash or two...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Dyslexia is a visual disability, usually limited to printed material, where the person affected sees letters and numerals in mixed up order, sometimes back wards, and usually not the same way twice. When reading a sign, if asked to draw what they see, then shown the same sign multiple times, each drawing is likely to be different. Many dyslexics see printed material as gibberish e.g. upside down letters or as figures that don't resemble numbers or alphabet letters at all. Like most disabilities, the severity varies from person to person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.