Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keep an eye on your accounts... this happened to me this past Friday.
a little after 9pm I'm reviewing my emails and come across one from Verizon Wireless...

"Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless and your recent purchases/upgrades". Below is a explanation of you new monthly changes/charges and upgrades". At first I'm thinking what's this about...

I start scrolling through the email still thinking what's this all about and perhaps it's an email scam and they want me to call so I can give them all my account information, passwords etc..

I get to the end of this long email showing me all the new changes and new lines added to my account along with this HUGH new monthly payment plan which includes; phone charges, data fees and services. Still kind of stumped, I did notice after the second review of the information at the top of the email was listed what looked to be my account number (after pulling an old bill and verifying, it was my account).

I sighed, kind of in shock that account number matched, shook my head when my wife asked if everything was okay and I replied, not sure as I log into my Verizon Wireless online account...

Low and behold... holy cr_p. There are (5) new 6Plus iPhone's, (2) iPads and (2) PDI's added and charged to my account in addition to the existing phones my family and I have.... I'm thinking WTF!

I start scrolling through my online account and find 9 new contract agreements with forged signatures of my name on all of them along with the store location and address.

I called Verizon and explained that I did not make any of these purchases and additions to my existing service. I was immediately switched to the fraud division within Verizon and after speaking with Verizon for what seemed to be a couple of hours, we sorted everything out and disconnected ALL the new equipment and removed all the additional monthly charges... I hope... they ended the call with "please review your monthly billing it could take up to two billing cycles to have everything removed"

They are so quick to added all the additional charges but very slow to removing them...

I also printed the fraudulent documents found in my account, including phone ID's, phones numbers and forged Contract Agreements and filed a police report. They told me these are all federal offences (Identity Thief and Forgery) but its likely nothing will be done and no charges to be filed against anybody, because the person or persons involved are like ghost... leaving no trail behind them

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
They are so quick to added all the additional charges but very slow to removing them...
Sounds like the Verizon I know. Their cell phone coverage is pretty good, but they're an awful company to deal with. For a while, they actually had pop-ups on my TV telling me to hit 'OK' on the remote to upgrade my cable speed for an extra $10/month. The reward for being a long time customer is that you get charged more than new customers. Unfortunately, the alternatives aren't any better, and their cell coverage is worse. I'm surprised they didn't try to sell you some kind of security service. Be vigilant on checking the monthly statement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
For 5-6 months in a row we were getting billed for movies and pay per view we never ordered. Had to fight with them each month to get the fees waived. All the orders came from one of the two boxes in the house.
They wouldn't believe we didn't order the items, even when we told them some of the movies were ordered when we were out of town. We said the box must have gotten hacked, which was impossible according to them.
Forced them to give us a new box. Replaced it and never had another issue.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
And I'm sure there are now a few new Verizon iPhones and iPads for sell on eBay. That had to have raised a few eyebrows in the store.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
One of my co-workers has a monthly routine of calling Verizon and arguing with them about a DVR box in another room that she doesn't use, yet gets charged for. I was starting to think she's just trying to get free DVR by being a PITA, but now I'm wondering.

We've been lucky so far with Verizon, aside from being charged up the wazoo, which is just standard. 'course now that I typed that, we'll see what happens.......

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
One of my co-workers has a monthly routine of calling Verizon and arguing with them about a DVR box in another room that she doesn't use, yet gets charged for. I was starting to think she's just trying to get free DVR by being a PITA, but now I'm wondering.

We've been lucky so far with Verizon, aside from being charged up the wazoo, which is just standard. 'course now that I typed that, we'll see what happens.......
Seems to me that if you know you pay rent on the boxes, yet don't return the one you don't use, maybe the company has a right to charge for it ?.

I maybe the odd guy out but I've had nothing but good service from VZW and FIOS. Every once in a while I check their current deals and call to revise my service and always get a helpful customer care agent willing to help and save me some bucks. As well the FIOS service has never failed, excepting once and they had it back the next day after a failed fiber converter on the outside of the house. I'm much, much happier with FIOS then Cablevision, who's residential phone service just sucked and they had few well trained tech's to keep it running. As well, I HATE the Dolans, owners of Cablevision.

I do get mediocre cell service in my house though, and will need to call VZW to get this dealt with though. It's becoming a pain.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Seems to me that if you know you pay rent on the boxes, yet don't return the one you don't use, maybe the company has a right to charge for it ?.

I maybe the odd guy out but I've had nothing but good service from VZW and FIOS. Every once in a while I check their current deals and call to revise my service and always get a helpful customer care agent willing to help and save me some bucks. As well the FIOS service has never failed, excepting once and they had it back the next day after a failed fiber converter on the outside of the house. I'm much, much happier with FIOS then Cablevision, who's residential phone service just sucked and they had few well trained tech's to keep it running. As well, I HATE the Dolans, owners of Cablevision.

I do get mediocre cell service in my house though, and will need to call VZW to get this dealt with though. It's becoming a pain.
Huh, I do wonder why she doesn't just return the box. There are almost as many Verizon stores as there are Starbuckses. Should be easy enough.

Anytime I've stopped into one of their stores, they haven't been able to solve whatever problem I had. Even when I got a new phone (granted, just went from the LG Chocolate flip phone to the newer model), most of my photos and all of my videos vanished. The older version had video, new one doesn't.

They even laughed at my "old" flip phone, though it was only a couple of years old at the time. As if they're the Apple store or something. Jerks.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing I found interesting when talking with Verizon, They can't control the outlets contracted to sell there products and services... meaning when you walk into a dedicated Verizon store (which is considered a corporate outlet) they require you to show a valid pictured ID before answering any questions and or accessing your account information... the none corporate stores (Wal-Mart/Target/etc.) do not! They follow there own store policy/practice.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Another reason I got rid of Verizon. They got me a couple of years ago on some international calls I didn't make. "Gee that's horrible and we'll do whatever we can to fix the situation, but you still owe us $400." As soon as the contract ended, I dropped them and went to a prepaid plan, and bought an unlocked phone from Amazon. I can do everything I could before, and there's no chance of getting over-charged again.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
They can't control the outlets contracted to sell there products and services... meaning when you walk into a dedicated Verizon store (which is considered a corporate outlet)
Yeah, I forgot. The VZW "official" stores SUCK. Completely not worth the cost in real estate. There isn't an employee at any location who knows sh!t from shemola and the holidays are the worst time to walk in.

I always call sales.

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
This was an inside job. All those phone are now on a black list and can't be activated with any carrier in the US. They use the phones to make out of country calls till they get shut down. Once shut down the phones are shipped to another country and sold to be activated and used on GSM. We have Verizon and they have great service but I try to avoid dealing with customer service as that is a PITA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts