Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the joys of watching the Tour each year is the wonderful commentary job by Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett. I have been watching these guys cover the tour since the days of Fignon, LeMond and Hinault. They are one of the best commentary teams in all of sports, IMO.

Disapointed to see VERSUS went with a new studio guy - I am not really liking Craig Hummer much, I much prefered the guy from the last couple years. What happened to him??

Interesting - I record the live show each morning, but I also record the "Primetime" show at night in case the live show runs out of time before the finish. A great example of this was yesterday in Stage 3. However, in the Primetime show they ditch the Sherwin / Liggett soundtrack and give you Roll and Hummer instead. Why???? Is the thinking that a US audience needs a watered-down commentary by US commentators? Most strange.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Tour,

Njo2002

· I am not aero
304 Posts
Actually, I was just thinking today that Craig Hummer seems to have better chemistry with Phil and Paul than Al Troutwig did.

They've always replaced Phil & Paul's commentary with Bob and ____'s for the "enhanced coverage" in the evening. DVR is the way to go if you can't watch the live coverage, well, live.

· What the Hell is going on
5,904 Posts
I haven't watched a "Primetime" coverage in some time, but I remember they usually switch back to Phil and Paul during the closing moments of the race. They sound more exicted than there American counter-parts.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
I <3 Eurosport.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
I DVR the live morning stage and watch it later at my leisure. I fast forward through the ads (unless I fall asleep, which sometimes happens). I did watch a couple of the expanded coverage shows with Roll and Hummer. They just rehash the live coverage with a little more commentary. I stopped doing that.

My main complaint with the Versus coverage is that they spend too much time talking about what happened in the previous stages. And as the tour goes along the previous stage commentary gets longer and longer. I fast forward through that also. Sort of like watching a football game and listening to John Madden. I want to watch TDF, not bunch of guys sitting around talking.

But at least we have something to watch. Guess I can't complain.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I record the AM race too. The expanded version shown later in the day has way too much BS for me to even fast forward through.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Rule # 1-Always tape the show (whatever it is) after the A.M. version because its live and may go over. Rule #2- Tape the P.M. coverage and watch it the next morning for the 2 or 3 minutes of interviews they do, just FF to the end. Yetsreday for example they interviewed Millar for like 2 minutes at the end of the evening coverage, day before it was Robbie and Hincapie. Otherwise I have no use for the PM coverage. Apparently there are fans everywhere clamoring for tour coverage without Phil and Paul!? Seriouslt whats the point of that? Are they "grooming" others for Phils retirement?

· Registered
11,561 Posts
bigmig19 said:
Apparently there are fans everywhere clamoring for tour coverage without Phil and Paul!? Seriouslt whats the point of that? Are they "grooming" others for Phils retirement?
Phil and Paul are good at hyperbole and "exciting" race commentary, beyond that I don't see much in them. They certainly don't have a tremendous depth of knowledge about the current crop of riders and really only offer mostly superficial analysis of the race.

· Registered
41 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Phil and Paul are good at hyperbole and "exciting" race commentary, beyond that I don't see much in them. They certainly don't have a tremendous depth of knowledge about the current crop of riders and really only offer mostly superficial analysis of the race.
What would less superficial analysis look like? I'm a relatively new fan of the Tour and just curious.

· On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
That Craig fellow is terrible, mispronouncing everything. The contest is not giving away an SLC-CL. And his name is not George Hincape it's HinCAPe. Sherwin and Ligget are the best. I did like Al Troutwig, he could at least speak properly.

Tim

· Registered
209 Posts
takl23 said:
That Craig fellow is terrible, mispronouncing everything. The contest is not giving away an SLC-CL. And his name is not George Hincape it's HinCAPe. Sherwin and Ligget are the best. I did like Al Troutwig, he could at least speak properly.

Tim
+1, have you heard Hammer say yellow jersey in French....there's dead frenchmen rolling in their graves right now!!!!

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
You have to be one angry and bitter cyclist to not like Bob Roll. The guy is hilarious and instantly likeable.

· Registered
268 Posts
At leas Bob makes a point of mispronouncing everything for effect. Phil and Paul simply make no effort. it doesn't take much effort to ask a team rep how to pronounce Voeckler or Ciolek or a hundred other names that are massacred.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I think there are diffrent ways to pronounce names depending on the source. I guess the french dont pronounce the "ch" as a "K" in Kirchen Cadel pronounces it that way and Phil said thats the way its pronounced in france. Then again I guess you could just ask the guy. Is it HINcapie, or hinCAPIE?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.