Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 66.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div style='padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:640px;'>See more <a href='http://www.todaysbigthing.com/'>funny videos</a> and <a href='http://www.todaysbigthing.com/'>TBT Videos</a> at <a href='http://www.todaysbigthing.com/'>Today's Big Thing</a>.</div>

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
When I get to work tomorrow I'm gonna check on that alleged OSHA permission for climbing without being tied off. I don't buy it. He does a pretty poor job of tying of when he does- that carabiner ought to be on the main steel, not the peg.....

Way f'n cool though- I'd love to have that view.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was actually looking into doing that, but when I realized that I'm no good at electronics I decided to pass.

I have no fear of heights, I respect them.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
No dizziness but my stomach turned over a couple times after they said he wasn't tied in at all times. That guy is crazy for climbing without being tied into something. If I remember correctly the Navy uses a ratchet type device where you clip into a metal pole next to your ladder. The pole has notches on it that allow the piece attached to you to slip going up and grip going down. There has got to be a safer way and I too would be surprised if OSHA allowed free climbing.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
yeah ha ha **** that. the tower is broken? oh well.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
saf-t said:
When I get to work tomorrow I'm gonna check on that alleged OSHA permission for climbing without being tied off. I don't buy it. He does a pretty poor job of tying of when he does- that carabiner ought to be on the main steel, not the peg.....

Way f'n cool though- I'd love to have that view.

Not sure where you're supposed to clip in on that one section. There didn't seem to be any secure points unless you wrap the safety line around the main pole.

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
That makes my stomach queezy!

·
Noob as per thread 227982
162 Posts
How cool would that be in 3D IMAX?

I don't mind heights, it's the falling from them that I'm not fond of. I'm not ashamed to say those guys have me beat in the balls category.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
No vertigo but then again, I'm good with heights in general (high obstacle course thin platform kind...) and even stood 13k feet on a mountain near-ish the edge without feeling that kinda fear. Of course, I was afraid if I fell or the wind etc.

But damn, that IS crazy crap! And yes, I'd be scared and probably won't wanna do that.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
No vertigo, but I did find myself getting scared for the guy. However much he's getting paid, it's not enough. Gotta love a job where you can get an actual sense of the curvature of the Earth...

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
OK- this is what a brrief search turns up

Can't spend more time 'cause I'm doing training on lead exposure for 120 folks tomorrow, and am changing my presentation. But, from an OSHA interpretation letter:

OSHA has no standard that specifically requires fixed ladders to be installed on communication towers and, hence, no standard that requires ladder safety devices to be provided on communication towers without fixed ladders.

OSHA's safety and health standards for construction (29 CFR Part 1926) require fall protection for employees on communications towers (1926.105) where the fall distance exceeds 25 feet. Under the fixed ladder provisions [1926.1053(a)(18)], OSHA requires that fixed ladders be equipped with cages, wells, ladder safety devices or self-retracting lifelines. Please note that these requirements apply only for construction activities.

The safety and health standards for general industry (29 CFR Part 1910) contain fall protection requirements for non-construction work activities such as maintenance on communication towers. For example, workers must be protected from falling from communication towers under 1910.268. Section 1910.27 contains requirements for fixed ladders, such as ladder safety devices or cages.

I've seen lots of fixed ladders with cables running next to them, which are intended for use with rope grabs attached to the safety lanyard connected to a fall protection harness. Can't imagine what would prevent a similar scenario on these towers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I watched it twice last week, each time my hands got VERY sweaty, to the point I had to wipe them off because the keyboard was getting wet. Just looking at the embedded video made them start to sweat.

Glad that doesn't happen when I am biking!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
saf-t said:
Can't spend more time 'cause I'm doing training on lead exposure for 120 folks tomorrow, and am changing my presentation. But, from an OSHA interpretation letter:

OSHA has no standard that specifically requires fixed ladders to be installed on communication towers and, hence, no standard that requires ladder safety devices to be provided on communication towers without fixed ladders.

OSHA's safety and health standards for construction (29 CFR Part 1926) require fall protection for employees on communications towers (1926.105) where the fall distance exceeds 25 feet. Under the fixed ladder provisions [1926.1053(a)(18)], OSHA requires that fixed ladders be equipped with cages, wells, ladder safety devices or self-retracting lifelines. Please note that these requirements apply only for construction activities.

The safety and health standards for general industry (29 CFR Part 1910) contain fall protection requirements for non-construction work activities such as maintenance on communication towers. For example, workers must be protected from falling from communication towers under 1910.268. Section 1910.27 contains requirements for fixed ladders, such as ladder safety devices or cages.

I've seen lots of fixed ladders with cables running next to them, which are intended for use with rope grabs attached to the safety lanyard connected to a fall protection harness. Can't imagine what would prevent a similar scenario on these towers.
So should they have fall arrest or not? The first sentence says no but the third seems to say yes.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Ejdo said:
So should they have fall arrest or not? The first sentence says no but the third seems to say yes.
That's why people hire lawyers. :) Statutes and regulations may have some consistency when that are first written. But most of them are amended piecemeal over time. The end result is that many statutes and regulations have internal inconsistencies.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts