Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I'm trying to solve my never-ending dilemma with pedal/shoe/cleat combinations.

First, I have very, VERY flat feet. As a result, I can't fit into normal road shoes. "Wide" width shoes don't help matters much because the extra width gained is mostly in the ball of the foot - ahead of the arch, and the widest part of my foot is the arch itself. As of now, I'm using a pair of PI MTB shoes that are more similar to sturdy hiking shoes with a traditional flat rubber sole shape and SPDs. They work, but the soles flex waaay too much and cause hotspots on rides over 2+ hours - not to mention the fact that they are very HOT and HEAVY. I've tried on just about every road shoe I can get my hands on, and none fit with the exception of one Nike model, which may do the trick.

The second part of the problem is this: I walk like a duck with ankles in and toes pointing out. This isn't a huge problem with my current shoe/pedal setup because the cleat in my PI shoes is offset slightly toward the inside of the shoe. I have tried some Look-style pedals before, and because my ankles turn in, I tend to bang my ankles on the crank arms (especially driveside) on every revolution.

Here comes the question: is there any pedal/cleat combo that gives any more room between foot position and crank arm? Either through longer spindle or adjustable cleat? I've heard rumors that there's a new Crank Bros. "deluxe" cleat that may offer some lateral adjustment, but can't find any definite info, nor are any available at my LBSs to inspect.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

thanks

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Toes out

Here's an extreme approach that might work for you.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html#adaptors

The "kneesaver" spacers move the pedal out, as if the spindle were lengthened. Looks like the extension is on the order of 2cm, which might be plenty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.