Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys recommend a reasonable tubeless wheel/tire for roubaix sl3? Ideally 28mm or larger (not sure what's the max i can run on 2012 roubaix sl3. I'm not concerned with weight or eaerodynamics... or even speed... only with responsiveness of the ride and reliability. I recently rode friend's bike with high end wheels and loved the responsivness. My Shimano 105 feel like a wet sponge in comparison. i also put premium on puncture resistance - don't mind the trade-off of having slower/heavier wheels/tires, but look for something that minimizes the likelihood of puncture i have to fix on the road.
Thx

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
For a durable tubeless wheelset, the HED Ardennes CL + has been rock solid for me. If you want custom, a similar wheelset could be built using the HED Belgium hoops.

For puncture resistant tires in larger sizes you can try the Hutchinson Sector or Intensive.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
I really like the Hutchinson Sector 700 x 28 tubeless tire. It has so far worn well, but there's a good chance it won't fit in your frame. The Hutchinson Intensive 700 x 25 tubeless tire is a good option and it measures closer to 24mm wide depending on the rim it's on.

Note: the more flat protection a tire has the less "responsive" it will be be. Flat protection makes the casing stiffer.

I recommend a custom wheelset for your bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have had several sets of tubeless wheels. Probably my favorite is the ROL D'Huez. They are reasonably priced, have a very high review number on this forum, and spin nicely. A little wider than my others.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Responsiveness and bigger/flat prone tires are competing goals. And except at the extremes wheels don't do much for road feel and handling feel. (not to mention your friends frame geo could be totally different so your bike may never feel as responsive)
Save some money for now and start by trying to find the right tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.