Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Soma Double cross that I commute on. The front fork has cantilever brake studs, I have Tektro brakes with Shimano doulble STI shifters. Obviously canti brakes on back.

The SOMA fork has a drilled blade for a low-rider rack which I use with a Tubus Tara front low-rider rack, and LOVE it. Rear panniers as well.

But here's the deal;

I ride in the mountains, and during the rainy season I take the SOMA out, but I really don't like the stopping power while doing extreme descents around California. The brakes work fine, I adjust them in as much as possible (been wrenching for awhile), but quite frankly I ride double centuries in the mountains on my custom and I strongly prefer the braking power of a front caliper.

So....

Can I switch out the SOMA steel fork with another steel fork that (a) has a bridge for a long-reach caliper, like on my buddie's Smoothie or on my Steamroller, but that also is (b) drilled on the blade for a low rider rack, and (c) has at least one eyelet for rack/fender (Tubus Tara rack has another eyelet for a front fender with adjustable struts, which I currently run).

The goal would be to tour this summer with this fork, using a long reach caliper, no fenders, and my low-rider rack.

Does a fork like this exist? And if not, can I purchase a fork like Surly's Pacer fork and have a local framebuilder drill a hole in the blade for a lowrider rack?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
you'll want to match the fork length, axle to crown, and at least be close on the rake... a cx fork is fairly long, esp when compared to road forks. maybe a salsa casseroll fork, if they can be had separately

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....casseroll fork does not appear to have a drilled blade, so I'm thinking it's similar to a Smoothie's front fork.

·
Registered
858 Posts
RedRex said:
....casseroll fork does not appear to have a drilled blade, so I'm thinking it's similar to a Smoothie's front fork.
Why not a custom fork to get exactly what you want? Curtlo quoted me $235 I believe for a custom steel fork not too long ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts