Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Ultegra 6600 Kit (Cranks, Derailleurs, Cassette, Brakes, etc.) and I'm less than happy about the chain rubbing on the 53 when in 39/12 but the Shimano docs do at least talk about this and I half expect it given the angles involved.

What really bothers me is that when in 53/12 there is some horrible vibration being generated. I think it's coming from the crankset but it might be coming from the cassette or rear derailleur. I've checked and I have no noticeable rub on anything. I've also played around with the B screw to no avail.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
New chain?

STLRoady said:
I just installed a Ultegra 6600 Kit (Cranks, Derailleurs, Cassette, Brakes, etc.) and I'm less than happy about the chain rubbing on the 53 when in 39/12 but the Shimano docs do at least talk about this and I half expect it given the angles involved.

What really bothers me is that when in 53/12 there is some horrible vibration being generated. I think it's coming from the crankset but it might be coming from the cassette or rear derailleur. I've checked and I have no noticeable rub on anything. I've also played around with the B screw to no avail.

Thoughts?
Did you also install a new chain? It could be a worn chain - use a good ruler to measure for elongation. Anything over 1/16" in 24 links (12 inches) means you need a new chain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hmmm

me too, I have a da 10 with the ultegra 10 chain 6600, all new and I get a ton of vibration. It mostly is when It is on a stand. I think i notice it on the road but only on super smooth asphalt.
The side under pedal pressure, opposite the rear der. seems to vibrate and "bounces" up to an inch up and down. Thanks
Brad

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
b987654 said:
me too, I have a da 10 with the ultegra 10 chain 6600, all new and I get a ton of vibration. It mostly is when It is on a stand. I think i notice it on the road but only on super smooth asphalt.
The side under pedal pressure, opposite the rear der. seems to vibrate and "bounces" up to an inch up and down. Thanks
Brad
What moves up and down an inch? Your crankset/BB? - TF

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
STLRoady said:

Thoughts?
What kind of vibration? You can feel it riding? - TF

EDIT: I think both you and the OP should stop riding these bikes until you figure out what is wrong. Things shouldn't vibrate or move. - TF

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have ridden a number of bikes with 6600 drivetrain and have not experienced any vibration. I wonder if your tires are out of true, radially. You may have a chain line problem. Properly installed and with the correct chain line I can trim m front derailleur so there is no chain rub no matter what rear cog I am on. Check the length of your chain, as well. It is possible the chain tension is too high in the 53/12 combination.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Insight Driver said:
Check the length of your chain, as well. It is possible the chain tension is too high in the 53/12 combination.
I wondered about this also, but if it's too tight on the 12, then what happens on larger combinations like the 53/15 or 17? This is an odd one.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Stand or road?

What really bothers me is that when in 53/12 there is some horrible vibration being generated.
You didn't say if the vibration occurs on the stand, on the road, or both. If you get it on the stand only, it could be induced by unequal pedal pressure whe you turn the cranks by hand. Each time you let pedal pressure drop slightly, the upper run of the chain slacks off a bit and drops a few millimeters. As you continue to turn the cranks, your hand snaps the slack chain back into tension, causing it to jump up and vibrate.

This can also occur on the road, especially if the rider is not a smooth pedaler. But uneven pavement makes the chain rattle up and down a bit anyway, masking these pedal-induced vibrations. Track coaches used to watch the upper runs of the chains for these "jumps" and then berate the novice rider for pedaling squares.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Follow up

First I never blamed the product. I'm sure its my setup. But I've exhausted the directions and Zinn's Road Bike manual so I thought I'd try here.

Next up for those of you trying to be helpful (and it is appreciated!)

I have a new 10spd chain. From what I've read, it seems that I have the chain set to the right length.

I do only notice the vibration on the stand.

The wheels are new as well, along with the tires.

The chain does seem off by a few degrees in the vertical. Kind of like the crank or rear derailuer is not plum. I've look at trying to adjust this but don't see a setting or mention of it in either the directions or Zinn.

I would like to get rid of the rub, but I don't find that as disconcerting considering the Shimano install guide mentions the rub small three gears while in 39.

Cheers,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.