Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Looks like he hit the barriers... probably slightly better than sliding under the truck.

Looking at the bright side, however lame, it's better to crash after winning than have a crash that prevents you from winning, no?

·
I play for keeps
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's an Austin thing (I'm sure they're other towns similar). Having come from San Diego, by way of Nor Cal, and being here in Austin the last four years; there is definitely a culture of spending Sh&$loads of money on your bike. I see many people rolling up to the line in Cat 4 & 5 races on 15K worth of bike at every race around here.

I'm not saying I wouldn't spend 15K on a bike if I had the chance because I absolutely would. Wife and kids take priority for me, not leaving a lot of cash for bikes.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have spent waaaaayyyy too much on bikes. I have the dedicated TT bike with the Zipp disc and a set of carbon wheels on the race bike for flatter races. I'm also in the serious minority around here.

My bikes are decidedly mid-range, which I consider about right given my meager talents. I keep having to stop myself from forgoing grocery shopping so I can bring home a fancy new bike. I know as soon as I did, it would only be a year or two before I would want some other bike and the cycle would start again. I already built up a low-end cross bike this year, so I should probably be happy.

Instead of buying a new bike, I rebuilt a teammate's bike with a new drivetrain. He appreciated it a lot more than I would have appreciated a shiny new hunk of carbon, and now I have a dedicated domestique for the season. Win-win.

Sooner or later I'll cave in, and I'll drop the money on the fancy bike. It's only a matter of time, so I can't cast stones at those guys. It was just surprising to me to see so much in one low-level race. If it makes them happy and more likely to race, more power to them.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I did not need to see that. I have a crit in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.