·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
He probably deserved it.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope he gets arrested for assaulting a SF police officer.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Not that I'm trying to take the cop's side, but to his credit he rush to the cyclist immediately.

It will be interesting to discover why the cop made that sharp left turn when the cyclist take this to civil court. No doubt the cop will say he was responding to an emergency call, and this will have to be verified with the call logs. If he was not responding to a call, then this may be considered as wreckless driving.

Either way, this accident also exemplies one important example for cyclists to consider when riding in metros, and that is, be very mindful of sitting in another's vehicle's blindspot. Cop car totally did not even see cyclist.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Not that I'm trying to take the cop's side, but to his credit he rush to the cyclist immediately.

It will be interesting to discover why the cop made that sharp left turn when the cyclist take this to civil court. No doubt the cop will say he was responding to an emergency call, and this will have to be verified with the call logs. If he was not responding to a call, then this may be considered as wreckless driving.

Either way, this accident also exemplies one important example for cyclists to consider when riding in metros, and that is, be very mindful of sitting in another's vehicle's blindspot. Cop car totally did not even see cyclist.
+1. The officer got off the car immediately,don't start with the cry baby comments. Next time you're dealing with some [email protected] gangsta threatening you if you have a gun use it or maybe go ahead and call a cyclist for help,but be sure to call me aswell and have some popocorn ready.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those not willing to click your link or go to whatever site that is:

San Francisco Comical. Sorry, I didn't realize it was a Youtube video that could be embedded. Thanks.

It was clearly an accident.

The bicyclist was gunning it to get through the intersection on a yellow light. The cop either didn't see him or he came up too fast, and someone had stopped short in front of the cop.

Like many accidents, more than one thing went wrong.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Cop looked like he was making a right turn, had his signal on as well, then changed his/her mind and, while not signaling, attempted to change lanes to go straight. Didn't look if the lane was clear either. So obviously an accident with cop at fault.

Wonder what story the cop attempted to tell.....

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
San Francisco Comical. Sorry, I didn't realize it was a Youtube video that could be embedded. Thanks.

It was clearly an accident.

The bicyclist was gunning it to get through the intersection on a yellow light. The cop either didn't see him or he came up too fast, and someone had stopped short in front of the cop.

Like many accidents, more than one thing went wrong.
nevertheless the cop is 100% responsible for the illegal lane change, irrespective of anything else. It was the lane change alone that is the sole cause of the accident. Cop should have looked and taken time to clear the blind spot with a shoulder check also. and he failed to do that. Nothing the cyclist did affects the cop's 100% culpability here.

The cyclist's speed is irrelevant. Any car or moto would be going 40kph a that point coming to an intersection whether they were stopping or not. They would be going 50-60kph if they were running the light. So why not a bicycle at 40kph?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree the cop is at fault. But there are often contributing factors in addition to that of the person legally at fault.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
For all the accidents that happen daily, I never worried too much. But since seeing the footage of the NYPD minivan making a left turn into a man crossing legally in the crosswalk......

Something about when the cops are doing the killing, AND denying it constantly...... this is what really scares me for some reason.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Meanwhile a couple blocks up Mission at almost the same time, a cyclist was taken out by a car/driver and the stories (yes I know it's the interwebs and all) suggest it was intentional / driver attempted to flee, was arrested for assault.

I think I will skip Bike to Work Day in SF, thank you.

scott s.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Cop looked like he was making a right turn, had his signal on as well, then changed his/her mind and, while not signaling, attempted to change lanes to go straight. Didn't look if the lane was clear either. So obviously an accident with cop at fault.

Wonder what story the cop attempted to tell.....
Wait. Looks like the cop had just stopped the car in front of him, had gotten into his cruiser, and was exiting the stop, pulling out and around the car he stopped. Did the cop just turn off his lights?

This, like many other situations in which something could go wrong, a cop car stopped behind another car, is definitely a signal to be careful. The cop could have easily doored the cyclist. Cyclist assumed he was seen and could pass at speed safely. Guess not.

He should have registered the situation, slowed down, or moved left into traffic if clear. This accident could have been avoided by the cyclist if he'd been thinking a little bit further ahead. If the cyclist had moved left with the car pulling out, he might have avoided collision.

Hope cyclist gets a good settlement from the city, though. Dumb ass cop. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wait. Looks like the cop had just stopped the car in front of him, had gotten into his cruiser, and was exiting the stop, pulling out and around the car he stopped. Did the cop just turn off his lights?

This, like many other situations in which something could go wrong, a cop car stopped behind another car, is definitely a signal to be careful. The cop could have easily doored the cyclist. Cyclist assumed he was seen and could pass at speed safely. Guess not.

He should have registered the situation, slowed down, or moved left into traffic if clear. This accident could have been avoided by the cyclist if he'd been thinking a little bit further ahead. If the cyclist had moved left with the car pulling out, he might have avoided collision.

Hope cyclist gets a good settlement from the city, though. Dumb ass cop. :frown2:
An example of the video not being conclusive. We don't see a police car with flashing lights, so have no way to assume the PC was in the right lane for a traffic stop. It "appeared" that the PC was initially and merely making a right turn as the right turn signal light was on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts