Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to call my car insurance company tonight to change my driver's license number...I happened to notice on my new policy papers that it's old. I also wanted to ask about my vehicle security system discount, and whether or not my type of system is the correct one on the policy.

While discussing this, she mentioned that I could receive more discounts for window intrusion detectors, blah blah, and VIN etching on the windows. Turns out I can get a 5% discount (nearly $50/year!) on my car insurance by having this done. Sounds good to me!

Now...where to have it done? My parents had their cars done for free years ago at the State Police Post in town, but I called my Indiana post and they don't do it. The girl at my insurance company mentioned she'd had hers done free at their office, when they had a company come and do everyone's car that day. I might call the local police department, the car dealer, and a local car glass place or two and see if they might know where I could get it done cheap.

There's also quite a few DIY kits on the internets...basically you put a stencil sticker on the window, rub some paste over it to etch the VIN number in, peel the sticker off, and wash the window. They're $20 or so, not too bad...plus if I get some friends to do it, I'll save more money because it decreases the price for each one.

Has anyone used these? If so, which did you use, and did it work well? If I can't find someone to do it for free, I'll try it. I can't pass something up that pays for itself immediately!

Thanks for the help, and just an FYI for anyone who hasn't had it done. Save yourself some dough for more bike parts.

Brian

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
You could probably just get the chemical to etch glass and a stencil from your local hardware store for cheap rather than buying a kit. They do it on trading spaces all the time. ;)

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paint said:
You could probably just get the chemical to etch glass and a stencil from your local hardware store for cheap rather than buying a kit. They do it on trading spaces all the time. ;)
I don't know where I'd get such small stencils...the letters are probably 3/16" high at the most. I could have some vinyl cut at a local sign shop, but I know that's more expensive. Buying the chemical would be easy, finding small enough stencils is the problem.

Friction_Shifter...'tis ok - most threads in NCD get off topic anyway. Thanks - I figured it was high time to break out the Caramel DeLite again!

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
You can get teeny weeny stencils at pretty much any craft store for $3-4.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
paint said:
You can get teeny weeny stencils at pretty much any craft store for $3-4.
Ditto on this, you can get the etch paste and the stencils at a craft store such as Michaels, Joanne's Fabrics, etc.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Or try a car dealership

I got it done when I bought my car about 2 years ago. If you still live around the dealership that you bought it from, you might try there too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts