Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Cyclingnews:

In the wake of Manolo Saiz's recent detention for his alleged involvement in a blood doping program along with four other people, Spanish news agency EFE has just released a newsflash, announcing primary sponsor Liberty Seguros have chosen to cancel their cycling sponsorship from the Liberty Seguros-Würth team, effective immediately.

No doubt, a clause exists in Liberty Seguros' contract with Active Bay SL, the team's holding company, enabling the former to annul their sponsorship contract if a widespread doping situation arises. How this will affect the six riders currently racing the Giro d'Italia or the future of the team is not yet known.

·
Banned
608 Posts
He didn't get screwed. He and his team got caught. Saiz has been running a team doping program since at least 1997, and with a micro-manager like him you can bet that everyone on his team is a participant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A statement from Liberty Seguros said: "As sponsors, we have always wanted to promote a culture of fair play and zero tolerance with respect to doping.
"In November 2005 after the suspension of a rider (Roberto Heras) for doping we made our contract one of the most rigorous with regard to this subject.

"The implications and consequences of the detention of Manolo Saiz are highly worrying - they damage our name and the name of cycling.

"We have cancelled our agreement with the owners of the team (Active Bay) and will respect outstanding financial obligations."

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
If he is clean, he must be pissed...............
LOL!!! :p

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
pspande said:
Could he go to another team mid-season? I read that Discovery wanted him. That could be very interesting.
He likely has an escape clause but it's unlikely that anyone will have budget for him at this point in the season...but you never know. Rumors were rampant at the Tour last year that he was going to sign with Disco at the end of the season.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
I'll bet that he rides for anyone, for free. Risk for any team taking him is that he tests positive, he'll be under the microscope for sure.

But, look at Quick-Step or other heavy teams with out a GC dude (Liquigas, Lampre, ...Discovery....etc.). Lotsa possibilities.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Vino

I am sure he has an escape clause, most likely because who is going to pay him? I am sure he will have to lower his asking price and a lot of teams could probably afford him for half a year at a discounted amount

That being said, I doubt he will be under the microscope anymore than any other rider. With 200 names on some list, this could cut deeper than anyone could imagine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.