Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Astana-Würth OK to race

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has given the Astana-Wurth team the go-ahead to race in the Tour de France. "CAS has rejected the request of ASO to stop the team Astana-Würth from starting the Tour de France," read the CAS official statement.

On June 26, ASO, the organisers of the Tour, had asked Active Bay, the managing company of the Spanish squad, not to take part in its race. Both parties took their case to CAS, which heard it today (June 29) in the presence of ASO and Active Bay representatives.

CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.

Cycling News
 

· Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Good ruling by the CAS, however is it going to be - out of the frying pan and into the fire - with the official Op Puerto report coming Friday? I'm sure Astana and several others are still holding their breath.

Dave
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
DriftlessDB said:
Good ruling by the CAS, however is it going to be - out of the frying pan and into the fire - with the official Op Puerto report coming Friday? I'm sure Astana and several others are still holding their breath.

Dave
That's exactly what I was thinking. If it becomes "official" tomorrow does that then mean they will be excluded along with any individual riders. Teams must be making emergency calls all over Europe right now to get their back-up riders to France. Isn't there some kind of rule that teams can't replace riders after a certain point (the team presentation?).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. If it becomes "official" tomorrow does that then mean they will be excluded along with any individual riders. Teams must be making emergency calls all over Europe right now to get their back-up riders to France. Isn't there some kind of rule that teams can't replace riders after a certain point (the team presentation?).
I don't believe that is true, didn't one of the Aussie riders crash before the proloque and wasn't he replaced. FDJ I believe.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
I don't believe that is true, didn't one of the Aussie riders crash before the proloque and wasn't he replaced. FDJ I believe.
The required medical tests have to be completed, and I think that window closes sometime friday. But in the old days I recall somebody crashing on TV cables before the prologue and being replaced by a rider who arrived about 2 hours before his start.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
The required medical tests have to be completed, and I think that window closes sometime friday. But in the old days I recall somebody crashing on TV cables before the prologue and being replaced by a rider who arrived about 2 hours before his start.
Yeah but I'm pretty sure an exception was made in that case (wasn't it Matt White?) because he crashed. In fact, I think that's how I became aware that there was some point after which you couldn't replace a rider.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
the ruling stated that it was based on the fact that no evidence was provided. Apparently, they are in the process of matching blood taken during raids with that taken from controls at previous races. If the report contains that sort of evidence, then it's going to hit the fan...
 

· Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
yeah I agree

"congratulations Astana Wurth you are in the Tour, but these riders will be banned."
reads list of most of the squad, after all these are Manolo's boys.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
Astana-Würth OK to race

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has given the Astana-Wurth team the go-ahead to race in the Tour de France. "CAS has rejected the request of ASO to stop the team Astana-Würth from starting the Tour de France," read the CAS official statement.

On June 26, ASO, the organisers of the Tour, had asked Active Bay, the managing company of the Spanish squad, not to take part in its race. Both parties took their case to CAS, which heard it today (June 29) in the presence of ASO and Active Bay representatives.

CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.

Cycling News

Can they kick the team or riders out after theTour starts? Obviously they can if caught doping during the Tour itself but what if some of these guys get charged in the next two weeks?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
Sintesi said:
Can they kick the team or riders out after theTour starts? Obviously they can if caught doping during the Tour itself but what if some of these guys get charged in the next two weeks?
I think ASO has been rather explicit and UCI has supported them saying that if it becomes official at any point a rider is involved in the Fuentes affair they will be kicked out of the race.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
With the number ...

of Astana Wurth riders implicated, and if those riders are excluded, seems as though we will be able to see what happens if a rider were allowed to enter the TDF as an unattached rider, because Vino won't have any team mates. Could you imagine having to drop back to get water from the team car yourself, and then making it back into contention, day after day after day.....
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top